simian support for munkiimport & AutoPkg

Kevin Kunkel

Jul 10, 2014, 5:45:49 PM7/10/14
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
I'd really like to leverage AutoPkg's ability to use munkiimport to keep my 3rd party packages up to date. Is this possible? Or do I need to create the packages with AutoPkg and upload them manually?
-Kevin

Justin McWilliams

Jul 10, 2014, 5:49:14 PM7/10/14
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Simian doesn't have any integration with AutoPkg, so you'd need to upload them manually.  You could theoretically automate the upload to Simian as well, but there's no public API for doing such, so it may break with future releases.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Kevin Kunkel <kku...@indeed.com> wrote:
I'd really like to leverage AutoPkg's ability to use munkiimport to keep my 3rd party packages up to date. Is this possible? Or do I need to create the packages with AutoPkg and upload them manually?
-Kevin

Larry Kleebauer

Nov 22, 2014, 2:27:49 AM11/22/14
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
This something we were hoping to do as well... but it looks like a dead end at this point?

Justin McWilliams

Nov 22, 2014, 2:30:30 AM11/22/14
to simian-...@googlegroups.com

We will accept code contributions, if your equipped Python foo to extend the API.

// mobile

Michael Holt

Aug 2, 2015, 3:30:51 AM8/2/15
to Simian Discuss
Hey I was curious if anyone has made any sort of progress on something like this?  I currently auto-update a lot of my packages using Jenkins and would love to try and do something similar with the new Simian setup i'm working on.

Kevin Kunkel

Aug 6, 2015, 4:38:55 PM8/6/15
to Simian Discuss
It's something I want to work on, but haven't had the time. It's currently on my Q5 roadmap

Jon Thompson

Jan 31, 2017, 9:20:50 AM1/31/17
to Simian Discuss
Any update to this?

da...@thoughtmachine.net

Apr 27, 2017, 6:30:38 AM4/27/17
to Simian Discuss
This would be a huge time saver.
I can't promise any time to it yet, and I'm TBH sorely lacking in the required skills, but I'd love to see this get wings and would be keen on testing or thrashing out ideas!

Just to try and get a handle on the amount of work invovled I imagine we would need something on a local autopkg machine that then has a job which can auth with an appengine key, and then copy the xml and files onto the simian instance.

Would this be something best done through MunkiAdmin perhaps so that any changes to the catalogues or manifests could then also be synced to the simian instance?

In the mean time, autopkgr is still making my life a little easier, but it saves down the xmls with a plist extension which simian then ignores as a valid file type until you rename it to xml :)
I could cron a copy or mv plist files to xml to take one step away, but does anyone know if autopkgr can already do such a thing?