Google will no longer be maintaining Simian after 2018

Maxim Ermilov

Aug 10, 2018, 4:05:53 PM8/10/18
to simian-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Simian community:

After 2018, Google will be adopting a new software management system for its internal Mac OS use and will no longer be maintaining Simian.

Simian has served Google well for many years, so we’d love to see development continue with  someone else as maintainer. In January 2019, the project will be moved to the Google Archive in Github. If you’re interested in taking Simian over, you’ll be able to do so by forking the project from there.

Best regards,

Google Simian team

Hesan D Yousif

Aug 10, 2018, 4:08:43 PM8/10/18
to Simian Discuss
Do we know what new system they will be adopting?

Hesan Yousif

Maxim Ermilov

Aug 10, 2018, 4:54:20 PM8/10/18
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
We are working on replacement.
At this point we are not sure in which form or whether it would be released  publicly :(
_____
Maxim

Hesan D Yousif

Aug 10, 2018, 4:55:28 PM8/10/18
to Simian Discuss
Sorry, I meant Google?  What management system?

Maxim Ermilov

Aug 10, 2018, 5:03:39 PM8/10/18
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
> What management system?

In-house software

_____
Maxim

Hesan D Yousif

Aug 10, 2018, 5:04:27 PM8/10/18
to Simian Discuss

After 2018, Google will be adopting a new software management system for its internal Mac OS use

??

Edward Eigerman

Aug 11, 2018, 3:39:24 AM8/11/18
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Maxim is answering for Google. We are working on a new thing, it may or may not be publicly releasable eventually. We can't discuss it in too much detail at this point.
-----
Ed Eigerman
Google Macintosh Operations TL/M

David Harvey

Aug 11, 2018, 4:00:37 AM8/11/18
to simian-...@googlegroups.com
Hope it goes well, and that it might have some scope to join the great OSS contributions that have built up from Macops and wider Google on github.

Fingers crossed someone can take the lead on keeping Simian going smoothly in the mean time!

Hesan D Yousif

Aug 11, 2018, 4:07:30 AM8/11/18
to Simian Discuss
Thank you for clarifying Edward!