A simple request...

1 view

Taylor Scott

Jul 24, 2001, 12:22:16 AM7/24/01
First of All I would like to say good job to the BOS and NY ARTCC's tonight.
I do although have a simple request...

Take in mind I'm not familiar with each ARTCC's SOPs but this issue is
probably not covered in them.

I flew a short hop Boston Logan to Kennedy...During this time I met with 6
controllers, 1 non voice, 1 of which was on the vitez server, 2 on the east
server, and 2 on their own servers. For those of us who run the old
squakbox because we can't get the new one to run with our computers or
whatever reason (yes there are still quite a few using the old sb) it is
hard to maintain seperation and change your voice program to a COMPLETLY
different server. So just a very simple request unless you have problems
with the voice servers please coordinate at least within the ARTCC's a
server for you to use.

Thanks and Good Job...

Best Regards,

Taylor Scott /V
ZME Asst CF
Instructor 1

FS SHARECENTER - The Best Flight Sim Shareware is here....
New Now: Bari Palese and Philadelphia International Aiport Sceneries
by SimFlyers Associated - Buy them in a bundle at a sensational price!
http://fssharecenter.com
SIMMARKET Download Store - NEW NOW: The GAP Singles
The best Collection of German Airports ever - Now includes Innsbruck (LOWI)
http://simmarket.com/online/gap

Your use of the simFlight Newsgroups is subject to the terms
outlined at http://simflight.com/snn

Paul Biderman

Jul 24, 2001, 2:39:15 AM7/24/01
Your request certainly is a valid one, and it's something we all need to
pay a bit more attention to IMHO.

Most ARTCCs, such as Houston, have a "recommended" or "default" voice
server that everyone uses, but of course there's no way to enforce that.

Plus, the RW servers have their quirks and do go down on occassion, so
that can add to the confusion, especially if it's busy. With lots of
planes under one's control, sometimes we put off changing voice servers
until traffic lightens up as it would be a chore to get everyone to switch.

We're doing our best. Maybe in the future, make a polite request on text
that the controller switch servers and explain why. If he's able to do
it, I'm sure most will oblige.

As for your problems with the newer version of SB, maybe post your issues
and you'll get a solution! :)

Paul Biderman
Houston ARTCC

Mike Bromley

Jul 24, 2001, 7:38:22 PM7/24/01
Taylor,

Thanks for the kudos. I was working BOS_V_APP last night and I'm
pretty sure I know which flight you were. I almost ran another
departure right up your tailpipes when you were switching to CTR.
:)

I understand your point, and the next time I am working I will try
to get all of us on the same voice server. If I remember the map
right, the SATUSA policy was to have everyone east of the
Mississippi river on the east server.

In the meantime, there are a couple of things you can do to help us
out. First, set your FS not to pause on task switch. At least that
way you won't pause when you are switching servers. The second is,
follow Paul's suggestion. Post the problems you are having with SB
2.3.4 so that maybe we can offer some suggestions to you, and the
rest of the pilots having problems with it.

Mike Bromley
Boston ARTCC - C3 /VM

"Taylor Scott" <tay...@superiorinter.net> wrote in message

Robert Woodring

Jul 24, 2001, 7:32:44 PM7/24/01
As a side note, controllers sometimes may opt to "host" an RW session for
the simple reason of being able to "disconnect" unruly log-ins. On
occasion, people log-in on our server RW channels and purposely disrupt
ATC/Pilot transmissions and basically just act "stupid".

Hosting an RW session allows the ATC to poll the pilot's under his/her
control. narrow down the culprit and boot him/her off. If he/she returns,
the host may also employ the password feature and give it out only to
bonafide sim pilot's.

Thus, it is also important to remember to log-in to the RW session w/ the
same call sign that the ATC see on Pro Controler, somewhere in your
handle. That allows the controller to identify that you as a "law
abiding, PID carrying" member of SATCO/VATSIM. These "interlopers"
probably are not members of SATCO/VATSIM with valid PID's, but can easily
access our servers thru available webpages like All Servers.

While this may be a bother to old squawkbox users, it is probably a much
better alternative than to try and continue on with flying/controlling and
hope these troublemakers amuse the their tiny brains to maximum capacity,
get tired, and log-off.

I was under the control of Jeff Clark at ZLA one afternoon, and he
employed this measure w/ about 8 of us on "vitez.net/125.80". He hosted
his own RW session, we re-atised him, he polled all the pilots on RW and
PC to, weeded out the intruder and *poof*.

Fortunately, being in Hawaii (real world), most of you are sleeping when
I'm controlling/flying and the people still logged-on are die-hard
ATC/Pilots unable to shut down those turbine powerhouses or power off
their radar scopes. However, it's also the perfect time for the "zombies"
to come out of their holes and wreck havoc on our beloved past time.

Well this is my 2 cents and hope it helps.

Aloha,

Robert Woodring, ZHN
Lanai City, Hawaii

Ernie Alston

Jul 24, 2001, 8:26:20 PM7/24/01
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:22:16 -0500, "Taylor Scott"
<tay...@superiorinter.net> wrote:

>I flew a short hop Boston Logan to Kennedy...During this time I met with 6
>controllers, 1 non voice, 1 of which was on the vitez server, 2 on the east
>server, and 2 on their own servers. For those of us who run the old
>squakbox because we can't get the new one to run with our computers or
>whatever reason (yes there are still quite a few using the old sb) it is
>hard to maintain seperation and change your voice program to a COMPLETLY
>different server. So just a very simple request unless you have problems
>with the voice servers please coordinate at least within the ARTCC's a
>server for you to use.

I don't see it as that simple actually.

Before we had Controllers on the same server out of necessity, its
easier to enforce a necessary policy. But now most of the ARTCC's have
already thrown out the old procedures it would be awful hard to get
everybody back to doing it the old way again when for most it is no
longer a necessity.

Ernie.

Taylor Scott

Jul 24, 2001, 10:47:07 PM7/24/01
Hey Guys,

I will try and get SB going again (the new version that is) and I'll post my
probs here but I'm going out of town for a week so I may not get it this
week. One question I do have is how do I set FS to not pause (FS98) I
wasn't aware it had the capability.

I see where this issue could go both ways due to admin features.

Thanks for the input...

Best Regars,

Taylor Scott /V
ZME Asst CF
Instructor 1

"Ernie Alston" <71302...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

Ernie Alston

Jul 25, 2001, 12:21:04 AM7/25/01
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:47:07 -0500, "Taylor Scott"
<tay...@superiorinter.net> wrote:

>Hey Guys,

>. One question I do have is how do I set FS to not pause (FS98) I
>wasn't aware it had the capability.

Options / Preferences

Then uncheck the 'pause on task switch' button (FS98)

Chris Seeber

Jul 26, 2001, 10:11:42 AM7/26/01
Ah yes. I remember the night. But due to the magnificent vectoring you
gave the Air France, who was coming up behind Taylor, I (working BOS_V_CTR)
didn't have to change anything. I just kept them on the vectors you gave
them and everything worked out perfectly.

I wasn't aware of the SATCO policy of using the east voice server. In fact,
I don't know if I even have the IP address for it. I do know that it's a
real pain when voice servers go down. RW seems to sense it and switch to
another random server. When this happens, it doesn't give the controller a
clue that it had happened (unless he checks the RW window) and suddenly he
can't communicate on voice. I've found that the vitez.net server is the
most reliable and so I usually use that. But if I'm supposed to use an east
coast server, I will.

Chris Seeber
SATCO C-1
VATSIM ??? (I haven't figured out the ratings yet :)
Boston ARTCC

"Mike Bromley" <mbro...@REMOVEadelphiaTHIS.net> wrote in message

Richard Critz

Jul 26, 2001, 10:32:34 AM7/26/01
Actually, Chris, you normally use my server! :-) If I come in the room and
the DSL lights are blinking like mad and the Linux box's light on the
Ethernet switch is doing the same, either the web site is getting hammered
or Chris is on voice! :-)

cz

--

Richard Critz
CFII

"Chris Seeber" <cse...@att.net> wrote in message

Mike Bromley

Jul 26, 2001, 5:55:02 PM7/26/01
Chris,

The Eastern Roger Wilco Server is at 24.190.8.231

BY

Chris Seeber

Jul 27, 2001, 9:20:12 AM7/27/01
OK. I guess I don't know which is what. Whatever server I use most often
is the most reliable one I've come across. Is there a listing of IP
addresses and "names" for servers around somewhere?

Thanks
Chris
"Richard Critz" <rcr...@usa.net> wrote in message

Pieter Riemersma