VATSIM advertising on SATCO?

CAL2117

Jul 12, 2001, 3:22:43 AM7/12/01
Okay, what gives?

It's one thing to advertise on ones' forum. It's another thing for VATSIM to list SATCO divisions as THEIR divisions on the VATSIM website.

I'm not passing judgement, but if I was a member of SATCO's Denver or Los Angeles ARTCC, I'd be interested to know why they are now being listed as part of the VATSIM network. Isn't VATSIM a competing organization?

That seems pretty bold (ie., stupid) of VATSIM to suggest that whole members of those ARTCC's are anxious to leave SATCO.

Is the rug being pulled out from underneath us?

SATCO officials better step forward and respond. Because the perception is that VATSIM is being endorsed by SATCO. This might be a bit extreme, but isn't that like being in bed with the competition?

And what about VATSIM's practice of asking for SATCO user's passwords? I seem to remember being told that no one would ever ask, nor should you divulge such information.

Just wondering aloud and sitting tight.

Aaron CAL2117

FS SHARECENTER - The Best Flight Sim Shareware is here....
New Now: Bari Palese and Philadelphia International Aiport Sceneries
by SimFlyers Associated - Buy them in a bundle at a sensational price!
http://fssharecenter.com
SIMMARKET Download Store - NEW NOW: The GAP Singles
The best Collection of German Airports ever - Now includes Innsbruck (LOWI)
http://simmarket.com/online/gap

Your use of the simFlight Newsgroups is subject to the terms
outlined at http://simflight.com/snn

Jeffrey Mullen

Jul 12, 2001, 6:43:49 AM7/12/01
Harv Stein, who will not post VATSIM news in this forum, did respond to a
similar question in the VATSIM forum that he and Randy Whistler would have
a joint statement shortly. I hope that means imminently, so that this
question is not left open for more than a day or two.

Jeff

CAL2117 wrote:

> Okay, what gives?

> It's one thing to advertise on ones' forum. It's another thing for =

> VATSIM to list SATCO divisions as THEIR divisions on the VATSIM website.

> I'm not passing judgement, but if I was a member of SATCO's Denver or =
> Los Angeles ARTCC, I'd be interested to know why they are now being =
> listed as part of the VATSIM network. Isn't VATSIM a competing =
> organization?

> That seems pretty bold (ie., stupid) of VATSIM to suggest that whole =

> members of those ARTCC's are anxious to leave SATCO.

> Is the rug being pulled out from underneath us?

> SATCO officials better step forward and respond. Because the perception =
> is that VATSIM is being endorsed by SATCO. This might be a bit extreme, =

> but isn't that like being in bed with the competition?

> And what about VATSIM's practice of asking for SATCO user's passwords? I =
> seem to remember being told that no one would ever ask, nor should you =

Kevin

Jul 12, 2001, 8:37:30 AM7/12/01
What has happened is we are now becoming VAtsim all things will
stay pretty much the same ranks etc. You just have to go to
www.Vatsim.net & register for your new CID or PID & Password. IF
your a Controller go to ID Maintence & you can immediatley transfer your
Satco rannk to Vatsim. Vatsim has the databases, servers etcc.... now.
As of July 27th Satco will become Vatsim its NOT a competting
organization.

Kevin

unknown

Jul 12, 2001, 9:43:09 AM7/12/01
Who are you? I don't recall seeing your name listed in the staff of VATSIM.

Richard Green

Jul 12, 2001, 10:01:55 AM7/12/01
Even what seems logical can be proven incorrect - their is a method to the
madness - and noone will FORCE you to register - but come 27July you might
see a problem trying to login

--
Richard Green
SATUSA4

Mike Bromley

Jul 12, 2001, 9:52:22 AM7/12/01
If what you say is true, why does everyone need new IDs? Logic tell
me this IS a competing organization.

Michael K. Bromley
Boston ARTCC - C2 /VM

"Kevin" <jan...@home.com> wrote in message

> What has happened is we are now becoming VAtsim all things
will
> stay pretty much the same ranks etc. You just have to go to
> www.Vatsim.net & register for your new CID or PID & Password.
IF
> your a Controller go to ID Maintence & you can immediatley
transfer your
> Satco rannk to Vatsim. Vatsim has the databases, servers etcc....
now.
> As of July 27th Satco will become Vatsim its NOT a competting
> organization.
>
> Kevin

Edwin Mayer

Jul 12, 2001, 10:23:41 AM7/12/01
So if the Event Director of SATUSA4 (Richard Green) says, SATCO WILL become
VATSIM, this is some kind of official statement?

I only can welcome, if there is no new competitor.
Not because i think, what we have now is the best possible, but every new
Organisation, will take members from the existing, which will result in less
traffic on each Organisation's network.

And what i am looking for is realism, and we all know there is a lot traffic
up there......

Edwin

Clement B. Quinones

Jul 12, 2001, 10:32:02 AM7/12/01
> And what i am looking for is realism, and we all know there is a lot
traffic
> up there......

With this new quick system for registration you know realism is only going
to get better. This will allow more enthusiasts to get involved.
--
Clement B.Quinones
Pacific Airways - ATP Captain

"Edwin Mayer" <edwin...@chello.at> wrote in message

> So if the Event Director of SATUSA4 (Richard Green) says, SATCO WILL
become
> VATSIM, this is some kind of official statement?
>
> I only can welcome, if there is no new competitor.
> Not because i think, what we have now is the best possible, but every new
> Organisation, will take members from the existing, which will result in
less
> traffic on each Organisation's network.

Bill Irvine

Jul 12, 2001, 11:21:26 AM7/12/01
The more the merrier!

Don't forget International Virtual Aviation Organization
http://www.ivao.org/ who have an active roll in online ATC controlled
flights, as well. It's useful to have more than one network to use for one's
online flying experience; not the least of which, it saves one from changing
the alias reply files in SB.

The way I use both IVAO and the former IVPA -- now, SATCO
Global Simulated Air Traffic Control, is to have one alias file setup for
fixed-wing and the other [IVAO] setup for helos. RW won't work on my system
while using FS98 helos; thus, the need for old-fashion text communications.
I have two versions of SB on my machine [connecting to different networks]
and use them interchangeably to either fly planes or helos.

I see no more problem with having and using more than one online ATC network
than having and using more than one ISP (which I have). The more the merrier
. . . right? ;-)

Now you say we have three networks? Whoopie!

Bill Irvine, WWa4094

jim

Jul 12, 2001, 11:00:47 AM7/12/01
That's what is sounds like, he is an officer of SATCO so we have to take
what he is saying is true, but why are we hearing it from him instead of
Harv or Randy?

Richard Green

Jul 12, 2001, 11:50:48 AM7/12/01
I am not an OFFICER of SATCO - I work for SATUSA

And I am only reposting what has been said here several times - already...

I made no kind of offical statement- their would have been a SATCO banner
above it or it would have come from RANDY or HARV.

The reason I said what I said is that people don't need to make assumptions
and or accusations - knowledge is power, making assumptions based on a lack
of facts and/or data can do nothing to advance any kind of position or
stance on any position.

I should have removed my auto-signature - hindsight is 20/20

But I REPEAT - my statement is MY OWN and not sent by, endorsed by OR
signed by HARV or RANDY.

I just don't want people to start a firestorm here making assumptions,
becuase trollers on BOTH sides would LOVE this kind of cannon fodder to
start up the next "WAR of the ROSES"

--
Richard Green
SATUSA4

Kevin Y

Jul 12, 2001, 1:25:16 PM7/12/01
So, does anyone know when Randy and Harv will make this joint statement,
and what forum they will use to communicate their message. From
everything that's available so far, I don't see any indication that SATCO
& VATSIM are joining. But if they are (or even if they aren't) I hope the
joint statement comes out far enough in advance of the July 27th date so I
can make a decision which way to go.

Iain Ward

Jul 12, 2001, 1:49:21 PM7/12/01
All I can see is some people getting off on the fact they know something
that somebody else doesn't. I don't care anything for what I do or don't
know in this situation we have developing but...

If VATSIM is a rival organisation then it or SATCO needs to make this
clear. If it is a rival to SATCO then I think it's deliberately playing on
the confusion that is currently abounding to increase it's membership, and
that is not what I would call a good start for an organisation selling
itself as whiter than white.

I'll happily state my allegiance is to SATCO, as I've said in the past
I've had no complaint about the end product I receive, the only sadness I
can see is that VATSIM may dilute the numbers online, but I'd take a
sneaking suspicion I'd not really not.

Iain Ward

Jeff Clark

Jul 12, 2001, 2:54:34 PM7/12/01
Hey Richard...

If I'm reading things correctly, looks like SATCO will become VATSIM. Or
maybe not...

In any case, can we make California Screamin' be the first big event on the
VATSIM network? (We'd be honoured!) Again - we're up for August 5th....

:)

Jeff Clark
ZLA

"Richard Green" <rgre...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Joel Lesser

Jul 13, 2001, 12:19:28 AM7/13/01
> VATSIM to list SATCO divisions as THEIR divisions on the VATSIM website.

Aaron,

It was my mistake that those links to SATCO sites were listed, so I am
responding to your post.

Those links were from SATCO's website which uses LinksManager.com. When I
moved the account, I intended to delete the links and I simply forgot to
do so.

The links to SATCO affiliated sites have now been removed and any links
listed in VATSIM's links pages will be from sites aligning themselves with
VATSIM.

I regret the error, it was a crazy week!

Joel Lesser
VATSIM.net

Michael Kratz

Jul 13, 2001, 8:04:48 AM7/13/01
So that they can clean out all of the old ones which are not being used
or in the past few years have been 'lost' in the system. Just like a
fresh install of windows 9x, makes the system run better, ie. after a
while the system accumulates a lot of crap, this is gonna flush it out.

"Mike Bromley" <mbro...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Bill P (WWA5880)

Jul 17, 2001, 7:59:22 AM7/17/01
Although I agree that Harv either needs to get with Randy and make some sort
of announcement regarding VATSIM and SATCO or somebody at VATSIM needs to
stop advertising in this newsgroup, I have absolutely no personal allegiance
to either organization.

One of the hallmarks of SATCO's ATC has been superb and professional
controllers. Unfortunately, of late, another mark of the SATCO organization
has been a lack of communication back to the user community and trouble with
the network. I'd like to see Randy and his staff get their collective act
together, but barring that, I've gone ahead and registered with VATSIM.

I couldn't care less whose banner is on the web page I'm afiliated with...
All I care about is that there are competent controllers in the airspace I
fly, competent instructors in the ARTCC in which I am assigned to control,
and enough traffic that I don't feel that I'm wasting the electrons
connected to my ISP figuring that I could have done just as well to have
ProFlight draw me up a quick adventure and fly it, instead.

That's my two cents.

Brian Crowley

Jul 18, 2001, 7:48:48 AM7/18/01

"Bill P (WWA5880)" <b*no_spam*pap...@att.net> wrote in message

> Although I agree that Harv either needs to get with Randy and make some
sort
> of announcement regarding VATSIM and SATCO

We are told it's coming, and I've been lead to believe that it will be
shortly (just don't ask me how much time "shortly" is <G>)

Brian