simavr integration to platformio & vscode

Mauro Quiroga

May 8, 2020, 12:55:35 AM5/8/20
to simavr
Hello,

It isn't too long ago that I found about this simulator but I ended up liking it quite a bit. After researching I found a procedure to integrate simavr into Platformio, which by the way is a very complete suite to develop, debug, and program microcontrollers.

I started documenting all my findings here (https://community.platformio.org/t/avr-simulator-as-aid-tool-for-debugging-code/13444) and looks like I started to get some attention from the developers of said project, and there is a chance simavr would be officially supported by them.

However, there are some problems that must be addressed and solved, like this one (https://github.com/buserror/simavr/issues/370), or the potential incompatibility with the avr-g++ compiler which could make a bit more difficult to use simavr with C++ projects (Arduino??).

Now, I'm not totally familiar with simavr's codebase yet, so I would like to know where should I be looking or which interfaces are related to this matter. I have some knowledge of C and programming so I could try to amend them myself and post a PR but some initial help would be appreciated.

Thank you