Model 1423 basket case part out or restore?

Jim Moseby

Mar 22, 2022, 6:35:16 AM3/22/22
to Silvertone World Forum
Hi!  I have a model 1423 "blender" that was a true barn find.  It's in pretty bad, and probably not restorable shape.  I'm wondering if there is a market for parts?  I have a good tailpiece, pickups, knobs, pick guard, electronics, 5 of 6 tuners, neck, etc...  All appear to be original to the guitar.

Also would be interested to know if anyone thinks this is worth trying to restore, and if so where parts might be available.

Any opinions appreciated!

Jim

Jim Moseby

Mar 22, 2022, 3:18:31 PM3/22/22
to Silvertone World Forum
So, I disassembled this beauty today.  It appears to be all original, all the way down to the knobs and the little flat-head screws.  The electronics have a metal spring-loom shielding them, which I've never seen, but is really cool!

The neck is nice and straight, but the binding is coming loose near the nut.  The black sparkle body is pretty rough, but when I wipe it with a wet towel, it still sparkles!

Defiantly in rough condition, considering how it had been abandoned in a barn for many many years, but I think not a complete loss!  I was especially happy to find the electronics in untouched condition, as far as I could tell.

I dunno....  What should I do with this thing?

 I'll attach some pics:

DSCN0180.JPGDSCN0181.JPGDSCN0182.JPGDSCN0183.JPGDSCN0184.JPGDSCN0185.JPGDSCN0186.JPGDSCN0187.JPG

Randy Holmes

Mar 22, 2022, 3:29:34 PM3/22/22
to Silvertone World Forum
I'd think it's definitely worthy of a resoration project, especially with so much of it there. Vintage pickups cost a bunch, but you can get some nice repros from EZPZ.

Jim Moseby

Mar 25, 2022, 3:39:11 PM3/25/22
to Silvertone World Forum
Thanks!  I'm starting to think so too.  I have the original pickups, but the picture didn't make it through for some reason, probably a PEBKAC error.  ;-)DSCN0178.JPG.

Jim Moseby

Mar 25, 2022, 3:39:11 PM3/25/22
to Silvertone World Forum
A couple of things I do need are a bridge and one original tuning peg.  The bridge that was on it was one someone removed, rather violently it seems, from an acoustic guitar of some sort.  It still had shreds of the donor's top it had previously been glued to.