Blonde Silvertone parlor guitar

Chuck Miller

Dec 2, 2021, 12:12:22 PM12/2/21
to Silvertone World Forum
I'm looking for info on identifying this guitar. Any help will be appreciated. 1.jpg2.jpg
I'm going to look at it today. The seller wants $50.

- -

Dec 2, 2021, 12:17:38 PM12/2/21
to silvertone-...@googlegroups.com
Certainly worth the money, I'd say.

Chuck Miller

Dec 2, 2021, 12:42:34 PM12/2/21
to Silvertone World Forum
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.  I'm going to look at it today. If the neck is straight I'll probably buy it.

I've never seen a picture of a Harmony blonde top like this.

Randy Holmes

Dec 2, 2021, 12:43:02 PM12/2/21
to Silvertone World Forum
Let me know what you find!

Chuck Miller

Dec 5, 2021, 9:08:20 AM12/5/21
to Silvertone World Forum

Chuck Miller

Dec 5, 2021, 9:08:20 AM12/5/21
to silvertone-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy,

I just bought it for $50.

It is stamped S-72 ML on the inside, but no other markings other than Made in U.S.A. anywhere on it. Does that de-value it? It's in very good shape as you can see in the photos.

I buy cheap electric guitars, repair them, set them up and resell them as a hobby.

I haven't done any acoustic instruments yet. My plan is to clean this up, Level the frets and re-string it. It's probably best to keep it as "stock" as possible, Right? I checked the bridge and it isn't glued down, so I should be able to get a reasonable intonation done on it.

Any additional advice or information on this guitar would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Chuck Miller

Dec 5, 2021, 9:08:21 AM12/5/21
to Silvertone World Forum
I bought it. The seller wouldn't budge on the $50 price. It's in really good shape. The best I can figure is it' looks most like a 1294 Harmony made in the Spring of 1972? Though I haven't found a photo of one that looks exactly like this online. Blonde top, thin white sound hole "binding" and white pickguard. It's a good looking instrument in my opinion. Also, that is no branding at all on it and no evidence branding was removed from it. What's up with that? There isn't a truss rod and the neck relief is pretty high on the low E string. It may end up being a good guitar to play slide on. Or I may fix it up and re-sell it. I wonder what that stamp (lower right side) that looks like a fat "V" on it means? The strings are really nasty. They may be the original strings. LOL. Since the wooden bridge isn't glued down I was able to sort of intonate it by moving and angling the bridge. If anyone has information on how I can further identify this guitar I'd greatly appreciate it.

01.jpg04.jpg05.jpg08.jpg09.jpg

Chuck Miller

Dec 5, 2021, 9:08:21 AM12/5/21
to silvertone-...@googlegroups.com
Updated email with all the pictures. I really like it. After I get the frets level it'll play much better.

The closest I can find is it looks like a Spring 72 Harmony 1294. I have not seen a blonde one or one with the same "binding." No branding anywhere either on it.
On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 10:43 AM Randy Holmes <ra...@silvertoneworld.net> wrote:
01.jpg
09.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
10.jpg

Chuck Miller

Dec 5, 2021, 9:08:21 AM12/5/21
to Silvertone World Forum
I bought the guitar. The best I can figure, it looks like a Harmony 1294. But, I haven't seen a photo of the exact one I have, with the thin white "binding" around the sound hole with a white pick guard and blonde top. Also, there is no branding on it anywhere. So, I really don't know for sure what the model is. It's in good shape though and I think it's a handsome looking instrument.

If anyone can help me identify it properly I'd greatly appreciate it.01.jpg02.jpg04.jpg05.jpg08.jpg09.jpg

Randy Holmes

Dec 5, 2021, 11:28:21 AM12/5/21
to Silvertone World Forum

Wow, Chuck, that's something else! No telling its history. As you've already seen, Sears did sell a 'SR'-branded guitar as the 1294, but with a red finish and the checkerboard soundhole 'binding.' I'm thinking Harmony used some 1294 bodies for some other anonymous department store to fulfill some orders. Looks in pretty good shape, and I'm still on board that the $50 was a good investment. It might not bring much more than $200 at auction if you ever decide to sell it, but I don't think you'd be out any money.

Thanks for taking great photos. I'm adding them to the Silvertone World 'mystery' archive.

Here's the last listing I can find for the 1294, in late 1973.

1294_73.jpg

Randy

Chuck Miller

Dec 7, 2021, 9:58:37 PM12/7/21
to silvertone-...@googlegroups.com
Randy,

Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate it. You have a great resource there. I'm glad you can use some of my photos.

I posted on a Facebook group and one of the guys there thought it was an H927.  It looks like one of those too. Who knows.

Best regards,