Silvertone 1335 amp

Peter Keller

Jan 6, 2021, 9:14:00 PM1/6/21
to Silvertone World Forum

There's an antiques shop selling a Silvertone 1335 amp near me, and asking $350.  The problem is, for me, the guy doesn't know if it works at all, has never turned it on, and won't let anyone turn it on to test it before selling it.  I'm no tech, but I know a bit, I'm pretty meticulous, and do my research before touching anything.  I'm sure I could fix it up, whatever it needed, and either keep it or resell at some point.  I'm wondering weather it's worth it.  Any advice appreciated.

Peter

Randy Holmes

Jan 6, 2021, 9:16:27 PM1/6/21
to Silvertone World Forum
That's a pretty good price for a rare 1335. If everything's there, I'd think not much more than a recapping may be in order. If you feel confident, I'd say go for it! Take pictures, and give us a report on the Silvertone World Facebook page. We'd all love to see/hear about it!

Randy

Larry Graham

Jan 9, 2021, 4:39:54 PM1/9/21
to silvertone-...@googlegroups.com
Look up the amp on You tube and see if it something you want to own I had a small silver tone but it wasnt loud enough to take to a jam  Buy your self a Premier B 160

Peter Keller

Jan 9, 2021, 4:39:59 PM1/9/21
to silvertone-...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks for the reply!    Here's an couple pictures they gave me.  A little stained and the handle is beat up, but not terrible for a 70ish yo amp I think.

706dd7b4de4e16a1b3b629972dc490af.0.jpg
75cce3790115555147fec1d36c18c3dc.0.jpg

Randy Holmes

Jan 9, 2021, 4:41:13 PM1/9/21
to Silvertone World Forum
Looks pretty good to me!

Peter Keller

Jan 12, 2021, 8:45:48 AM1/12/21
to silvertone-...@googlegroups.com
Well this thing is now at my house!  It'll be a while before I can do much with it, unfortunately, but it was too good to pass up.

Randy Holmes

Jan 12, 2021, 8:46:44 AM1/12/21
to Silvertone World Forum
When you start the project, take some photos as you go along. We'd love to see it!

Peter Keller

Feb 11, 2021, 12:57:32 PM2/11/21
to Silvertone World Forum
Followup to the post where I thought there was a short.  There wasn't!  It works!  Needs a little cleaning up, there's a thumping coming from the tremolo strength (might be the tube?) and I'll try to post pictures in a few days, but it's a go.

Peter Keller

Feb 11, 2021, 12:57:32 PM2/11/21
to Silvertone World Forum
Well, I've replaced all the caps and most of the resistors, but there's a short somewhere that I can't seem to find.  I've got it running through a dim bulb limiter and variac, but after about 10 seconds, the limiter lights up.   Link to schematic  below, if anyone might have suggestions for where to look.  The short doesn't happen if I pull either of the 12AX7's, or if pull the phono type cable connecting the upper and lower chassis.  I've tried known good 12AX7's, and all the other tubes seem to work (or at least are not involved in the short).

edwin torres

Feb 11, 2021, 4:12:27 PM2/11/21
to silvertone-...@googlegroups.com
Silverstone are good if u can get them cheap and working. But for the money people are asking I would get an Ampeg or Guild amp instead.