First steps during the community bonding period

Ingo Schommer

Apr 26, 2012, 4:59:34 AM4/26/12
to silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
Hello students,

Once again, welcome to the SilverStripe community :)

I know you're all still busy with uni, but please take a few
moments to read through this intro in order to make the
community bonding period (now until 23rd of May) a success.

Getting started

While the GSOC coding period doesn't start for another month,
the community bonding period is crucial, and you're
expected to prepare your project during this phase.
Read the GSOC student guide to get you started.

In the spirit of open source, please keep the majority
of this preparation in the open: It's a good idea
to create a GSOC blog for your project, sharing
your experiences and knowledge.
Doesn't have to be a SilverStripe-driven blog,
although it would be a good exercise to set up :)

A lot of projects are core development, which requires careful planning
of new APIs, and coordination with the community on the best approach.
Please use the community bonding period for this, and avoid delays
during the coding period due to scope being unclear, or the community
not being in agreement on the approach.

We've created wiki pages for each project as a starting
point to collect info (e.g. links to your GSOC blog, scope documents).
Please fill out your project page and keep it updated during GSOC.

Staying in touch with the community

Please get on our IRC channel whenever possible,
there's lots of knowledgeable people on there eager to help!
Every Friday 8:30am NZ time, core devs make an
effort to answer more tricky questions as well.

Please add your contact details to the who's who wiki page,
and don't forget to send a profile photo of you to sigurd at silverstripe dot com,
so we can use it for blog posts, and put a face to the nicknames.

Mentor Communication

Ensure your mentor has a direct way to contact you (Skype, GChat, etc.).
If you haven't yet, please arrange a video chat meeting with him to say hello,
and discuss further steps specific to your project.
Coordinate preferred contact times during the day with your mentor,
which is particularly important if you're in distant timezones

Thanks!
Ingo

Ryan Dao

Apr 26, 2012, 12:59:09 PM4/26/12
to silverstrip...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Sorry for being quiet lately, I have been busy with exams and all the other school stuff. My exams will end by the end of next week, after that, I'll start contacting my mentors and get directly to work. Even though the official coding period starts from 23 May, I really want to code early and (hopefully) finish the project early :)

I'm grateful to be part of this year GSOC. I would like to thank all the mentors and the whole SilverStripe community for giving me and my fellow GSOCers this great opportunity. Can't wait for this awesome summer to start :)

Best regards,

Ryan

Ingo