Content Blocks Update

Ingo Schommer

Aug 17, 2017, 4:31:27 PM8/17/17
to SilverStripe Core Development
Hello everyone,

SilverStripe has seen a lot of interest in content blocks as a new and flexible way to manage content, as an addition or replacement of page types.
This has taken the shape of nearly a dozen community developed modules, as summarised in a collaborative research doc that I've started a few years ago.

We're done some user research in the last months, and discussed ways to further this approach.
Some of this has been contained in the research doc. and the #content-blocks channel on Slack (http://silverstripe-users.signup.team/).
This effort is also happening as a validation for the new abilities we've put into SilverStripe 4 core around versioning and cascading publications,
and has overlap with core features like GridField and a content history viewer.

You'll be able to read more about the user research outcomes on our blog soon, and get a clearer idea on the way forward.
This is just a first heads up that there's (finally) some movement in this area in terms of the wider SilverStripe project,
and making people more aware that content blocks is a great way to structure your user experiences for a wide range of cases.

Feel free to join the general discussion on Slack for now, and more feature-focused discussions on Github throughout the next month.

Thanks!
Ingo