Tacks on Tillsonburg rail trail

1 view

Michael Jaffray

May 13, 2022, 6:40:12 PM5/13/22
to silver...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to take caution along the rail trail.  I was riding the Tillsonburg rail trail from Tillson Ave to 59 and at numerous gates/road crossings (the pinch points) I found racks scattered along the gravel.

I picked up what I could see, but if you have plans to cruise the rail trail take caution at those gates, and if you’re running tubeless make sure your sealant is topped up.

image4.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpeg

All the best!

Michael Jaffray

Karen Rice

May 13, 2022, 7:00:34 PM5/13/22
to Michael Jaffray, silver...@googlegroups.com
Seriously!

Who would take the time to do this? And to what gain?

Thanks for the heads up Michael!

“When did we become so concerned with our own experience that we lose compassion for others.”

Sent from my iPhone XR

On May 13, 2022, at 6:40 PM, Michael Jaffray <mike_j...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 Hi everyone,
Please pass this message on to members without e-mail

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Silver Spokes Cycling Club" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/silverspokes/YT3PR01MB9124B033A6155C609724DC56FBCA9%40YT3PR01MB9124.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

John Verbakel

May 13, 2022, 7:19:27 PM5/13/22
to Karen Rice, Michael Jaffray, silver...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for the heads up, Michael…. Really appreciated.  Unfortunately there are some pretty inconsiderate people with too much time in their hands, Tburg.

Sent from John Verbakel's Iphone

On May 14, 2022, at 12:00 AM, Karen Rice <k.r...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 Seriously!

Helen di Folco

May 13, 2022, 7:22:28 PM5/13/22
to John Verbakel, Karen Rice, Michael Jaffray, silver...@googlegroups.com
I also saw the same at some of the Turkey point trails when I was running there on Wednesday! Picked them up - not so easy to do in time when riding.

May 13, 2022, 8:06:36 PM5/13/22
to silver...@googlegroups.com

About all anyone of can do when on trail with pedestrians is conduct oneself in an exemplary manner (same goes on the road) & constructively but diplomatically  call out a person on a bike when they’re caught offside.  Wild Guess but Turkey Point sounds like some sort of other retribution involving wildlife.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg

bernie byer

May 13, 2022, 8:43:23 PM5/13/22
to silver...@googlegroups.com

I was on Waterford heritage trail from simcoe today -  I was wearing a Silver Spokes jersey so the president of the Trail association flagged me down to ask if I had seen anything. He was out checking the trail as he got a text about fishing line across the trail - i had spotted nothing. He also mentioned about Turkey point trail and other incidents. Hope it is not a tik tok thing.

Suggest using a magnet that roofers use to pick up nails if someone has time to check those places periodically. I have a light weight one that is easy to carry.

Bernie

ps He also was grateful for Silver Spokes ongoing donations to the Trail Association and talked about the paving issue and possible upgrades.

Andy Palermo

May 14, 2022, 9:28:12 AM5/14/22
to bernie byer, silver...@googlegroups.com

Good morning,
Yes, it was first noticed 2 weeks ago at Turkey Point. A number of locations were targeted and since then we have heard multiple reports of people finding numerous tacks and experiencing flat tires. We also received a report of the trail in Tillsonburg also experiencing the same thing. All the land managers, park officials and OPP have been notified. Over the last 5+ years there has been someone defacing trail signs all over Norfolk county, Tillsonburg and Woodstock. (Happy Face/Christmas Tree logo) and much more. Here’s a message issued by the park below.
Andy Palermo.

SPECIAL ADMIN POST
The following release comes from Jeff Pickersgill, Park Superintendent with the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks:
"Ontario Parks is aware of recent acts of mischief occurring on trails within the provincial park (Turkey Point) and St. Williams conservation reserve where individual(s) have placed tacks and other sharp edged objects on trails in an attempt to damage bicycles using the trails. Park users are asked to be vigilant while using the trail system.
The safety of visitors to Ontario Parks is our top priority and Ontario Parks officers will be increasing their presence on the trail system.
To report violations or suspicious activity, please contact the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or Ontario Parks Enforcement Staff at 519-426-3239 ext. 107".

 Seriously!

image001.jpgimage002.jpgimage003.jpgimage004.jpg