Startup camp Melbourne

1 view

Maxim Shklyar

Sep 7, 2008, 10:46:00 PM9/7/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Sydney, congratulations on the first startup camp! Excellent results!

We need the same in Melbourne.

I can provide studio space in Fitzroy for 4-8 people with wireless and food just around the corner.

Who’s coming?

Maxim

---

  Maxim Shklyar

  kisla interactive

Elias Bizannes

Sep 8, 2008, 5:06:35 AM9/8/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
What the hell is wrong with you Melbourne! Maxim asked over six hours
ago "who's coming" - and no response despite over half of you getting
e-mails directly into your inbox rather than the once a day digest
version.

You guys are as big and active as Sydney, and there are plenty of you
on this mailing list - shame!

Michael Specht

Sep 8, 2008, 6:12:41 AM9/8/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Elias, ha you got us all napping on a Monday it seems! Or maybe we are all too busying running our businesses ;-).

Pending the exact weekend yeah I'm up for it!

Rgds
Michael

sheedz

Sep 8, 2008, 7:18:49 AM9/8/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
Nobody likes Mondays.

I'm residing in Melbourne, so same as mike, pending the weekend I'm up
for it as well.
Cheers
-Ben

Bart Jellema

Sep 8, 2008, 11:13:43 PM9/8/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
Hey Maxim,

Great! Would be great to see something happening in Melbourne. We will
fly down from Sydney for it depending on the weekend. Let me know if
you need any help getting it together and feel free to use the wiki at
http://www.startup-australia.org/

My recommendation would be to just pick a weekend about 4 weeks from
now and post it up on the wiki with a sign-up list. The rest will flow
from there...

Any other cities interested?

Cheers!

Bart

Suhit Anantula

Sep 8, 2008, 11:17:16 PM9/8/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
If nothing, I would be interested to fly to Melbourne for the weekend to be part of this from Adelaide. I may bring along my business partner too.
--
www.worldisgreen.com
Yahoo/MSN/Skype ID : suhit_a

"The only way to predict the future is to create it" - Drucker

Elias Bizannes

Sep 8, 2008, 11:24:01 PM9/8/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
I'm up for flying in wherever as well. I used barcamp as an excuse to fly to Perth and Brisbane this year to meet people; this is a whole step better than a barcamp and worth every cent.

Maxim Shklyar

Sep 10, 2008, 11:14:49 AM9/10/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Seems that Melbourne Startup camp at 3-5 Oct brings a lot of interest...
15 spaces available at Fitzroy studio.

Please sign up who's coming
http://www.startup-australia.org/startupcampmelb1signup

-
Maxim Shklyar
kisla interactive

Michael Specht

Sep 10, 2008, 4:58:37 PM9/10/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sounds like a good weekend!

Rgds
Michael

Michael Specht
Principal Consultant

Phone: +61 3 9017 1865 | Mobile: 0418 212 041 | Skype: mspecht
Email: mic...@inspecht.com.au Web: inspecht.com.au

Sep 11, 2008, 12:13:11 AM9/11/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
what is actually going to happen at this thing?

--
noon silky
http://www.themonkeynet.com/armada/

a: 1.
q: how many top-posters does it take to change a light-bulb?

Maxim Shklyar

Sep 11, 2008, 3:17:48 AM9/11/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
We've got an option for an additional venue - a function room in Carlton
that fits up to 120 people.
Generous donation also includes food.

I've extended the signup list to hold more names.
We'll need to decide on location depending on number of interested people.
The signup page again -

sheedz

Sep 11, 2008, 11:43:30 PM9/11/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
Nice response to this than the initial replies.

If you book them, they will come

Bart Jellema

Sep 12, 2008, 1:39:10 AM9/12/08
to Silicon Beach Australia
Silky,

This is what's going to happen: http://www.startup-australia.org/startupweekend

Bart

On Sep 11, 2:13 pm, silky <michaelsli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> what is actually going to happen at this thing?
>
> --
> noon silkyhttp://www.themonkeynet.com/armada/

Maxim Shklyar

Sep 28, 2008, 5:22:23 PM9/28/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

We have a great interest in the Startup Camp Melbourne event with 43 signups
so far.

We had 2 different venues wanted to host the event but eventually they both
cancelled.
At the moment we only have the initial venue that can only hold up to 20
participants..
So we urgently looking for another venue option!

We need a well-WiFied venue that has a large space that can hold 30-40
people and 3-4 break out areas for about 7-10 people each.
Ideally we also need projectors, whiteboards, and office supplies.

We would start at about 6pm Friday and go through until 6pm Sunday, the
teams will be working almost nonstop.
Given the work schedule we are also looking for food and drink sponsorship,
however at this stage a venue is top priority.

If you know a suitable venue, or organizations that could be interested to
sponsor and host the event, please let me know ASAP.

Regards,
Maxim

---
Maxim Shklyar
kisla interactive

  http://kisla.com
  http://ximl.com

Michael Specht

Sep 28, 2008, 10:18:55 PM9/28/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What would be best is if some who is attending startup camp could provide a venue.

Also if anyone would like to assist in sponsoring some food that would be great.

Thanks
Michael

Sep 28, 2008, 11:33:13 PM9/28/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Elias Bizannes
<elias.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could probably arrange PwC Melbourne to host - very nice building, plenty
> of space. However I spoke to one of my contacts in the IT department down
> there, and wifi for non staff is an issue.

Perhaps if someone decided to sponsor they could just buy an unwired
box or temp 3g card? I don't see why internet would be required
though, really.

Michael Specht

Sep 29, 2008, 12:01:40 AM9/29/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Non staff access to networks has been one of the issues, the other is getting the buildings unlocked for 7x24 access with security clearance. These issues stopped Microsoft from being able to provide support.

Sep 29, 2008, 12:18:43 AM9/29/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

Might be a long shot, but one of the sponsors at Influence Forum 08 was Netcomm. They’ve got a new WiFi router which back-ends onto Telstra Next-G, so if something like that could be offered up on a loan by Netcomm and/or Telstra, it would probably solve the communications issues.

Less elegant but also open to corporate generosity would be any carrier making a few GB of 3G internet access available for the weekend…

Geoff

Sep 29, 2008, 5:40:27 AM9/29/08
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
If the Sydney experience is anything to go by, not having live internet access would result in startup camp needing to focus on gardening. Its critical ;-)

We had only minor internet/network issues at sydcamp but it was a serious stumbling block.

I cant imagine coding up a web startup without web access! (my coding sucks without google anyways :) But coding aside, Internets was critical for deployment, press releases, ustream, msn/skype, twitterbombing mpesce, ordering dominos and downloading nudie photos from 4chan. All critical in startups.

No net, no startupcamp :)

silky

Sep 29, 2008, 6:18:46 AM9/29/08
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Nick Holmes a Court <nic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed Geoff McQueen.
>
> We had only minor internet/network issues at sydcamp but it was a serious
> stumbling block.
>
> I cant imagine coding up a web startup without web access! (my coding sucks
> without google anyways :)

if you can't program without google maybe reconsider programming at all.

> But coding aside, Internets was critical for
> deployment, press releases,

fair enough; i suppose i didn't understand the whole "startup" is
developed and released. clearly you'll need internet for that.

> ustream, msn/skype, twitterbombing mpesce, ordering dominos and downloading
> nudie photos from 4chan. All critical in startups.

right. can't say i personally find any of that relevant, but to each his own.

> No net, no startupcamp :)

</boring business-mode>