Start of year basketball game

Mick Liubinskas

Jan 3, 2009, 5:34:13 PM1/3/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
I know a bunch of the Sydney Silicon Bech crowd play basketball (Kate
Carruthers, Ryan Cross, Alan Jones, Lachlan Hardy, MCB) so how about a
'get off your keyboard and get into the sunshine' game of basketball
to welcome in the new year?

Dates and locations open but I live in Woolloomooloo so the Cook and
Phillip park or KGV would be good.

Nothing too competitive, just some fun, although that's sometimes
tough with this crowd....

Other cities can participate too.

Soccer is also a nicely inclusive sport although Phil Morle is banned
from all sports!

Note down here if you're keen, or we can take it to a wiki if
preferred.

kcarruthers

Jan 3, 2009, 5:36:44 PM1/3/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Count me it - locations proposed sound fine!

Mike Cannon-Brookes

Jan 3, 2009, 5:52:53 PM1/3/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Bring your A game Liu-dog! I'm in.

Ps Atlassian plays in pyrmont weekly at lunch, another possible court.
--
ATLASSIAN - http://www.atlassian.com

Jozarino Ong

Jan 3, 2009, 7:23:04 PM1/3/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
I'm new here - but count me in (always up for some old school basketball!)

:)

Joz

dekrazee1

Jan 3, 2009, 7:37:06 PM1/3/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Woo hoo!

I iz in.
Been too long eh Mick?

Rex Chung

Jan 3, 2009, 7:37:10 PM1/3/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Would love to join, but I won't be in Sydney for Jan.
Hope you guys can keep this going for the year.

Rex.
--
Sydney: +61 421 591 943
HK:       +852 6901 2682

Ankoder - Video Encoding On Demand
http://www.ankoder.com

Rex Chung

Elias Bizannes

Jan 3, 2009, 8:27:57 PM1/3/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
I'll bring my dress and be the cheer squad.

Maybe that's an idea - we move Friday drinks to Tuesday touch
footy? :)

On Jan 4, 11:37 am, "Rex Chung" <rex.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would love to join, but I won't be in Sydney for Jan.Hope you guys can keep
> this going for the year.
>
> Rex.
>

> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Jozarino Ong <j...@joz.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm new here - but count me in (always up for some old school basketball!)
>
> > :)
>
> > Joz
>
> > Mike Cannon-Brookes wrote:
> > > Bring your A game Liu-dog! I'm in.
>
> > > Ps Atlassian plays in pyrmont weekly at lunch, another possible court.

rantalot

Jan 4, 2009, 7:02:07 AM1/4/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Hey guys,
This would be a great chance for you to use www.sportspassion.com -
and to support a local business that has been set up just to work in
situations like this for participants in local or social sports.

Mick can set up a team or two, and each of you can join - that way
coordinating the games and other events, each individual's
availability, as well as your photo sharing and story-telling
(especially those three-pointer-on-the-buzzer stories!), can all be
managed in a central space.

Plus, really importantly, we'll get some pretty straight feedback from
a bunch of people who will know just what we are trying to do.

I haven't played any basketball in about 20 years, but I am happy to
make up the numbers if required! Or, maybe even take some photos or
videos of those three-pointers-on-the buzzer to upload onto the site!

Cheers
Rob

Andy Coffey

Jan 4, 2009, 5:25:41 PM1/4/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Count me in - I'm desperate for a game of bball.

Brett | GoodBarry

Jan 4, 2009, 5:58:13 PM1/4/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Like Elias, I'm happy to be a cheerleader :P

Count me in!
- Brett

Sriram Panyam

Jan 4, 2009, 7:18:12 PM1/4/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
any chance of soccer fellas??  but il certainly watch bball...  and even be a cheer-follower :D
--
Blog: http://panyam.wordpress.com

Nick HaC

Jan 4, 2009, 8:55:32 PM1/4/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Im up for a game of BBall... might have to invest a new pair of vintage air jordan's for the occasion :P

Wooloomooloo would be suitably ghetto for us IMO... Boombox's welcome!

http://sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/air-jordan-5-18-countdown-pack-09.jpg

Alex North

Jan 5, 2009, 4:57:34 AM1/5/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Soccer would be awesome, but I'm in for basket ball as well. How about early evening when it's cooled down a bit rather than lunch time? There's plenty of light until after 7 this time of year.

A.

Sriram Panyam

Jan 5, 2009, 7:11:30 AM1/5/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
yep after work is certainly good...  give us a time and place...

Kim Heras

Jan 5, 2009, 8:15:56 AM1/5/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Sounds like fun...count me in. I'm cool with bball or football.
Anywhere around the city is good.

Mick Liubinskas

Jan 5, 2009, 7:34:04 PM1/5/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Hey guys, my week just explodd and I don't have time to organise
this.

Any volunteers?

Mike Cannon-Brookes

Jan 5, 2009, 8:23:43 PM1/5/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Put my hand up. I've booked the Ultimo Court (short walk across
Pyrmont Bridge - where the Atlassian team plays) on Wednesday night
from 6-8. I'll be there. Anyone else is welcome, please RSVP here or
to me if you can come (mi...@atlassian.com) so I have some idea of
numbers.

Otherwise, get your game on for tomorrow night!

Jozarino Ong

Jan 5, 2009, 8:47:55 PM1/5/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com, mi...@atlassian.com
Time to bring out the vintage air Jordans - I'm in :)

cheers
Joz

p.s. Apologies I haven't properly introduced myself yet, but I guess
I'll meet you all there!

Mike Cannon-Brookes

Jan 5, 2009, 9:51:10 PM1/5/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com, Mick Liubinskas
Just confirming - SB basketball is _tomorrow_ night, Wednesday 7th
January from 6-8pm.

As Mick says, the map is here:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=106883881245726865333.00045fc6aef5415860b00&ll=-33.868791,151.193221&spn=0.00061,0.001093&z=20

If you get lost, buzz me on 0416 106090.

I'll rustle up a ball, but if anyone else has one multiple would be good.

Oh, and beers / refreshments greatly appreciated too.

Brett | GoodBarry

Jan 5, 2009, 10:06:30 PM1/5/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
I'm in, looking forward to it!

Brett Welch

Australia
P: +61 2 9011-1099 • D: +61 2 9011-1091
F: +61 2 9011-1098
99 Mount Street, Level 8 North Sydney NSW 2060
USA
P: +1 415 345-7771
F: +1 415 345-7701
555 Post Street, Level 2 San Francisco CA 94102

br...@goodbarry.com • www.goodbarry.com • Online Businesses, Not Websites™

dekrazee1

Jan 6, 2009, 7:08:56 AM1/6/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Okie dokie. See ya all there!

Alex North

Jan 6, 2009, 7:10:45 AM1/6/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there. Thanks Mike.

Brett | GoodBarry

Jan 6, 2009, 7:42:20 AM1/6/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
It looks like I'll be bringing one or two of the guys from the office too.

Looking forward to it :)

From: "Alex North"
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:10:45 +1100
To: <silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [SiliconBeach] Re: Start of year basketball game

I'll be there. Thanks Mike.

On 06/01/2009, at 1:51 PM, Mike Cannon-Brookes wrote:

Just confirming - SB basketball is_tomorrow_ night, Wednesday 7th

Jozarino Ong

Jan 6, 2009, 7:47:36 AM1/6/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com

So supposedly it might rain (err thunderstorm) tomorrow at 6pm..
(http://tinyurl.com/9hpu3s)

From google maps it doesn't look like the courts are indoors :)

If not are there backup indoor courts nearby that might be available?

Either way I'm sure Silicon Beach BBall rain hail or shine style might
still be fun !

cheers
Joz

Geoff McQueen - Hiive Systems

Jan 6, 2009, 7:53:31 AM1/6/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
The Harlequin is nearby should outdoor exercise need to give way to indoor activities due to the weather...

Jan 6, 2009, 9:22:29 AM1/6/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
I can be there this week but usually Wednesday nights I'm playing a
comp game up at NSBA at Crows Nest, so if there is another evening
that works for everyone, that would be great. On the other hand, maybe
it's better that you don't have to experience my crunching unstoppable
centre defence...

- alan

On Jan 6, 11:47 pm, Jozarino Ong <j...@joz.net> wrote:
> So supposedly it might rain (err thunderstorm) tomorrow at 6pm..
> (http://tinyurl.com/9hpu3s)
>
> From google maps it doesn't look like the courts are indoors :)
>
> If not are there backup indoor courts nearby that might be available?
>
> Either way I'm sure Silicon Beach BBall rain hail or shine style might
> still be fun !
>
> cheers
> Joz
>
> Mike Cannon-Brookes wrote:
> > Just confirming - SB basketball is _tomorrow_ night, Wednesday 7th
> > January from 6-8pm.
>
> > As Mick says, the map is here:
>
> >http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&h...

dekrazee1

Jan 6, 2009, 8:25:11 PM1/6/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
You're just scared to take this mob on...
:P

Rai

dekrazee1

Jan 7, 2009, 5:53:25 AM1/7/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Thanks Mick for kicking this off, Mike for booking the courts and
Lachlan for the drinkies.
Lots of fun, and I hope this becomes a regular thing.

Esp since I need the shooting practice... grrrrrr (I blame it on my
neighbour's kid - he broke my basketball ring.) [That's my story and
I'm sticking to it!]

Did we finalise which day to move it to? Mon or Tues?

Rai

dekrazee1

Jan 7, 2009, 8:07:42 PM1/7/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Okay, I know it amounts to spamming to post 3 messages in a row, but
this one actually has a purpose.

I've started a SB group on Sportspassion.com:
http://www.sportspassion.com/teams/10711-silicon-beach-basketballers.
Taa daaa!

Please let's all sign up, give it a go, and see what happens. (I have
a feeling it'll make organisation much easier.)

Oh, and I even did a match report! Check it out! :D
http://www.sportspassion.com/teams/10711-silicon-beach-basketballers/blogs/11424-match-report-7-1-9

Merci pour votre attention
'Ave a great day!
dek

Brett | GoodBarry

Jan 7, 2009, 8:47:00 PM1/7/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dek!

I've signed up and I can see a few others have also.

But on a more important note - when is our next outing?

I suggest we make it on a tuesday so that more can make it, and go for
a biweekly event - which would make the next one 20th January.

Thoughts?

-Brett

Ajay Ranipeta

Jan 7, 2009, 8:51:35 PM1/7/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
looks like i missed it. maybe next time. i'm keen. but only available
on some Wednesday's.

I usually play at Phillip and Cook if it helps :)

Cheers,
[a]

rantalot

Jan 8, 2009, 8:14:31 AM1/8/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Dek - i've tried to make it a little simpler, by creating a customised
URL for the team:

www.sportspassion.com/siliconbeachbasketball

;-)

Rob

On Jan 8, 12:07 pm, dekrazee1 <dekraz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I know it amounts to spamming to post 3 messages in a row, but
> this one actually has a purpose.
>
> I've started a SB group on Sportspassion.com:http://www.sportspassion.com/teams/10711-silicon-beach-basketballers.
> Taa daaa!
>
> Please let's all sign up, give it a go, and see what happens. (I have
> a feeling it'll make organisation much easier.)
>
> Oh, and I even did a match report! Check it out! :Dhttp://www.sportspassion.com/teams/10711-silicon-beach-basketballers/...

rantalot

Jan 8, 2009, 8:17:34 AM1/8/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Brett,
Whoever picks the next time/date/place can create an event in
SportsPassion (at www.sportspassion.com/teams/10711-silicon-beach-basketballers/events/new)
through which everyone on the team will receive an email about the
event. And, any updates, changes etc, will also be alerted via email.
Cheers
Rob

On Jan 8, 12:47 pm, Brett | GoodBarry <br...@goodbarry.com> wrote:
> Thanks Dek!
>
> I've signed up and I can see a few others have also.
>
> But on a more important note - when is our next outing?
>
> I suggest we make it on a tuesday so that more can make it, and go for
> a biweekly event - which would make the next one 20th January.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Brett
>
> On 08/01/2009, at 12:07 PM, dekrazee1 wrote:
>

> > Okay, I know it amounts to spamming to post 3 messages in a row, but
> > this one actually has a purpose.
>
> > I've started a SB group on Sportspassion.com:
> >http://www.sportspassion.com/teams/10711-silicon-beach-basketballers.
> > Taa daaa!
>
> > Please let's all sign up, give it a go, and see what happens. (I have
> > a feeling it'll make organisation much easier.)
>
> > Oh, and I even did a match report! Check it out! :D
> >http://www.sportspassion.com/teams/10711-silicon-beach-basketballers/...
>
> > Merci pour votre attention
> > 'Ave a great day!
> > dek- Hide quoted text -

Mick Liubinskas

Jan 8, 2009, 5:00:17 PM1/8/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
The first basketball game was a rip roaring success with 10 people
turning up despite the potentially stormy weather.

We had a few games, and even changed courts to the champions arena.

Big thanks for the Atlassian mob for bringing the balls and providing
court hire.

Absolutely NO THANKS to Lachlan Hardy for bringing beer since I'm
detoxing in January ;-) But thanks for the water mate.

We're thinking of playing fortnightly (although that often confuses
me). What about first Tuesday night of the month?

I didn't make it through unscathed though. I 'caught' a ball on my
finger and got a wicked bruise. Check this pic;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adwentures/3179998383/

Some more pics here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adwentures/3180011545/

Thanks.

On Jan 6, 11:47 pm, Jozarino Ong <j...@joz.net> wrote:
> So supposedly it might rain (err thunderstorm) tomorrow at 6pm..
> (http://tinyurl.com/9hpu3s)
>
> From google maps it doesn't look like the courts are indoors :)
>
> If not are there backup indoor courts nearby that might be available?
>
> Either way I'm sure Silicon Beach BBall rain hail or shine style might
> still be fun !
>
> cheers
> Joz
>
> Mike Cannon-Brookes wrote:
> > Just confirming - SB basketball is _tomorrow_ night, Wednesday 7th
> > January from 6-8pm.
>
> > As Mick says, the map is here:
>
> >http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&h...

dekrazee1

Jan 8, 2009, 7:38:35 PM1/8/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Rob - thanks for that!! Much easier to remember now!

My dear Mick, every fortnight and first tues of each month don't
equate :P
I'd rather have it every two weeks. Tues is fine for me.
Plus it doesn't have to be set in stone.

So what I propose is that we finalise it for two tuesdays from now -
20th Jan (as Brett suggested).
And then we can cancel or reschedule as we get numbers/feedback.

Hope the finger's better. I'll bring along a pair of mittens for you
next time.
*ducks*

Rai/dek

rantalot

Jan 9, 2009, 8:59:45 AM1/9/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
If you are interested in playing, remember to join:

www.sportspassion.com/siliconbeachbasketball

Team notices, photos and events are already being added there

Rob
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dekrazee1

Jan 24, 2009, 7:08:00 AM1/24/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Hey y'all!

Quick reminder that basketball is on this Tuesday, 27th Jan, 6-8pm.
Same place, the outdoor Pyrmont Courts (97 Harris St, Pyrmont).

Details also at the SportsPassion gp:
http://www.sportspassion.com/teams/10711-silicon-beach-basketballers/events/10447

Cheers,
Rai

Mick Liubinskas

Jan 26, 2009, 2:28:37 AM1/26/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
I'm in.

See you all there. Please try and RSVP on the sportspassion page so we
know about numbers.
> Details also at the SportsPassion gp:http://www.sportspassion.com/teams/10711-silicon-beach-basketballers/...
>
> Cheers,
> Rai

Mick Liubinskas

Jan 26, 2009, 7:29:10 PM1/26/09
to Silicon Beach Australia
Just a note that due to the downpour of rain, Silicon Beach basketball
is cancelled for tonight :( cu in 2 weeks.

Joz Ong

Jan 26, 2009, 8:15:57 PM1/26/09
to silicon-bea...@googlegroups.com
:(

Perhaps indoor courts might be the way to go next time (we can play
whether its sweltering hot, pouring rain, or freezing cold)... unless
there's sentimental value at those courts or cost reasons.

Quick ring around for indoor basketball courts revealed:

1. Cook + Phillip Park Aquatic & Fitness Centre
(http://www.cookandphillip.org.au/).
Costs are $33/Hr for court hire and $4.70 / person entry - Perhaps we
could organise a set group fee instead
They do have availability.

2. UTS Indoor courts
Cost $77/Hr for court hire - Unfortunately no availability till May in
any 6-8PM slots...

3. KGV $53/hr for court hire, unfortunately they have no availability
after 5:30pm every night or lunch times either... they run competitions
continuously.

All the above are for full court hire

Does anyone know of any other CBD indoor basketball courts available for
hire?

If it's too much trouble, the Ultimo courts will do just fine! :)

Cheers
Joz