Installation under Mac OS X -

Paul D. Walker

May 31, 2018, 11:54:44 AM5/31/18
to SILE Users
I've installed homebrew, installed site-HEAD, the lua libraries and the fonts.  However, when I try to compile a document, it complains of a missing libtexpdf library.

$ sile test.sil
This is SILE 0.9.4

! libtexpdf backend not available! at nil
/usr/local/opt/lua/bin/lua: core/utilities.lua:26: attempt to index a nil value (field 'outputter')
stack traceback:
core/utilities.lua:26: in function 'core/utilities.error'
core/sile.lua:46: in function 'core/sile.init'
/usr/local/Cellar/sile/HEAD-ee610d8_4/libexec/bin/sile:16: in main chunk
[C]: in ?

Question: how do I install this library correctly?  Any advice appreciated.

Simon Cozens

May 31, 2018, 7:23:38 PM5/31/18
to Paul D. Walker, SILE Users
On 01/06/2018 01:54, Paul D. Walker wrote:
> I've installed homebrew, installed site-HEAD, the lua libraries and the
> fonts.  However, when I try to compile a document, it complains of a
> missing libtexpdf library.

Could you post the output of ./configure? And did you run bootstrap.sh?
(Only needed when running from github.) I'm wondering if the library
didn't even get built.

I develop on OS X, so it definitely does work!

Paul D. Walker

Jun 1, 2018, 11:58:32 AM6/1/18
to SILE Users
There is no configure command.  I installed sile through brew with the "brew install sile --HEAD" command so I assumed that would take care of everything.  I can see the libraries are present in the /usr/local/Cellar/sile/HEAD-ee610d8_4/lib directory.

Do you recommend that I instead try to complile the 0.9.4 sources instead?

Paul D. Walker

Jun 1, 2018, 12:24:57 PM6/1/18
to SILE Users
I decided to compile from the 0.9.4 sources and that seems to work.

Not sure why the brew installation is not working, but I don't know enough about brew to debug it.