Font not respecting the margins

Malachi James

Apr 9, 2019, 12:59:49 AM4/9/19
to SILE Users
As you can see in the attached pdf, I'm having trouble where the font I'm using (Awami Nastaliq) is running over the end of the line (left side of the frame).

In some cases this is okay--it's a little difficult in nastaliq to determine exactly where the 'letter' ends and the serif-style decoration takes over. In other words, it may be okay at times for the letter to cross the frame boundary. However, there are clear examples here where full letters or even words are outside the frame.

Awami is a strange font in that it's Graphite-only and can't display in programs which only support OpenType. I suspect, but am not positive, that this is a font problem and am in contact with the developer regarding this issue.

However, I thought I'd also ask on this forum if anyone:
1) Has a clue what might be set incorrectly in the font to cause this?
2) Has any work-around in SILE to fix this problem?

--Malachi
urdu.pdf
urdu.sil

Caleb Maclennan

Jan 3, 2020, 9:26:45 AM1/3/20
to SILE Users
This is an iteration of what is documented in this issue: https://github.com/sile-typesetter/sile/issues/620

There are some SILE bugs that are exacerbating this but at the end of the day your document and that font combined simply do not allow enough stretch or shrink for spaces. You should start by disabling the font's space calculation and setting your own with some more generous stretch values. Finally give it some extra stretch to work with in emergencies.

\set[parameter=shaper.variablespaces,value=0]
\set[parameter=document.spaceskip,value=0.8en plus 0.8en minus 0.2en]
\set[parameter=linebreak.emergencyStretch,value=3em]

Malachi James

Jan 3, 2020, 11:47:08 AM1/3/20
to SILE Users
 I believe this problem was probably solved by this issue: https://github.com/sile-typesetter/sile/issues/579

Of course there may have been multiple contributing factors, so the other issue you sited today may also have some impact. I just wanted to let you know that this problem for Urdu is already fixed.