More info needed on Cropmarks package

Malachi James

Jan 1, 2023, 7:06:42 AM1/1/23
to SILE Users
I'm trying to learn how to use SILE, and I'm experimenting with different packages. Here's a sample file I've created:

```
\begin[papersize=a5]{document}

\use[module=packages.lorem]
\use[module=packages.cropmarks]

\define[command=crop:header]{this is the header}
\crop:setup[papersize=a4]

\lorem[words=100]

\end{document}
```

1) I figured out the syntax of the `crop:header` line by looking at bug-337, but I can't see why that's necessary. Looking at the code in `init.lua` and comparing it to `crop:setup`, I would have expected this to work:
`\crop:header[info=this is the header]`
Why does that not work?

2) My final pdf has the lorem text laid out on the a4 page (so upper left corner), not starting on the correct place in the a5 page. What did I do wrong there?

Thank you,
Malachi

Didier Willis

Jan 1, 2023, 10:47:23 AM1/1/23
to SILE Users
Regarding you first point, you have to (re)define the crop:header command if you want it to be changed; it doesn't take an "info"  argument.

```
\define[command=crop:header]{this is the headerl}
```

Regarding the second point, the cropmarks package has a few known issue (https://github.com/sile-typesetter/sile/issues/1285), and it seems you hit the same problem.

I had proposed changes some time ago (https://github.com/sile-typesetter/sile/pull/1470), which however encompassed other things beyond this topic (such as a somewhat debatable change to frames for full bleed printing, that could perhaps be done in a less breaking way...). As mentioned there, perhaps we could extract the interesting bits (full page background image support and some of the cropmarks fixes) without going that far.

Regards,

Didier.