Detecting near end of route

ajr.mc...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2023, 6:38:37 AM3/15/23
to Signal K
I have some AIS software I've written in Node Red and I want to detect when my vessel is approaching the end of the planned route so I can adjust some of the alarm parameters. I could use either time to end of route, or distance to end of route. Could someone suggest a way I can get at that data from Node Red please?

Many Thanks, Anthony

to...@tonybentley.com

Mar 15, 2023, 11:59:37 AM3/15/23
to Signal K
There is a geofence node red flow that can do this for distance to end of route: https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-node-geofence

Teppo Kurki

Mar 15, 2023, 12:33:08 PM3/15/23
to sig...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 12:38 PM ajr.mc...@gmail.com <ajr.mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have some AIS software I've written in Node Red and I want to detect when my vessel is approaching the end of the planned route so I can adjust some of the alarm parameters. I could use either time to end of route, or distance to end of route. Could someone suggest a way I can get at that data from Node Red please?

To be honest I don't think our nmea integration is on the level that I could provide you with a definite and reliable answer. It depends on the source of your navigation information. What equipment are you using to navigate the planned route and how are receiving that data? If you have captured data where what you describe is happening all the better, we could see exactly what data you are getting.

If you get somehow the coordinates for the end of the route then a geofence around it in NR would do the trick. Not unlike arrvical circle entered in 0183 land.

This relates also to ongoing work related to v2 of Signal K and the course api there https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server/issues/1522

Anthony McDonald

Mar 16, 2023, 3:28:32 AM3/16/23
to Signal K

I have a Garmin Chartplotter, to which I upload a route created and stored in OpenCPN. NMEA 2000 network linking everything together. Transferring the route to the Garmin uses a USB to 0183 device as there is no way to send a route via 2000. Architecturely, storing the route in Signal K seems the way to go, if OpenCPN could handle that one day.

Teppo Kurki

Mar 16, 2023, 10:48:33 AM3/16/23
to sig...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 9:28 AM Anthony McDonald <ajr.mc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a Garmin Chartplotter, to which I upload a route created and stored in OpenCPN. NMEA 2000 network linking everything together.

OK, so you're dealing with data from PGNs 129284 and 129285. To answer your original question of "where to get that data" you should already have data of those PGNs available in SK: distance etc to next waypoint and route details. But I think you will need to look at the actual data that you are seeing and how things work. I have personally not used data from these PGNs so ymmv, especially when there are differences in the way different devices output data.

If I were you I'd capture data onboard with a route active and then use that data afterwards for development and testing.

Transferring the route to the Garmin uses a USB to 0183 device as there is no way to send a route via 2000. Architecturely, storing the route in Signal K seems the way to go, if OpenCPN could handle that one day.

It so happens that the OpenCPN version now in beta has support for transferring navigation information between OpenCPN instances (create routes home to bring onboard, create route at nav station computer and transfer to the one at helm). I am waiting for somebody to write a plugin that uses this API to make waypoints, routes and tracks in SK land. I can provide pointers and assistance, feel free to ping me about this if you'd be up to this.

Anthony McDonald

Mar 16, 2023, 7:13:23 PM3/16/23
to Signal K
Thanks for all the responses.
Do you have a recommendation for how to record all the NMEA 2000 data?

Teppo Kurki

Mar 17, 2023, 11:17:48 AM3/17/23
to sig...@googlegroups.com
Do you have a recommendation for how to record all the NMEA 2000 data?

Turn logging on in Server - Data Connections for the connection, save and restart server. The logged data files can be downloaded at the very end of Server - Settings page.