SignalK to read a stream of UDP coming in on an ethernet port

Paul Peterson

May 31, 2023, 2:04:19 AM5/31/23
to Signal K
Hi,
Total newbie here. My first post on any forum.
I am convinced that I should be able to get SignalK to read data coming in UDP on the ethernet port.  I just have no idea how.
I am building an electric boat and using an old Soliton1 controller for the power controller. Here is an extract from the manual:
The data traffic is sent over UDP, source address is the controller's
IP-address (169.254.0.1), destination address is the global broadcast
address (255.255.255.255) and the port is 48879 (or 0xBEEF in hex,
check Wikipedia for "magic number" if you didn't get it and are
curious of what cultural reference you just missed).

The controller might broadcast an UDP-packet every 10:th ms but will
only do so if there's CPU time enough and the web server isn't
accessed at the same time. The best tactic to stay in sync is simply
to read as fast as possible so newer packets never have time to be
appended to the previous one(s).

The UDP-packets used to contain 14 16-bit words (most of them
unsigned) in Soliton software version 1.0 but in 1.1 it was extended to
16 words. 1.2 and later have kept that size but one has a slightly
altered function. Since you can't be sure of the length (it could even
be increased in the future), keeping in sync by reading faster than
the controller can transmit is a good tactic.
It goes on to explain what the format is and gives error messages descriptions.  Data is all about the motor and battery power, current, voltages, etc.
I have done a lot of research and tried lots of things with my OpenPlotter configuration on a RPi to no avail.
Do I need to write a plugin for this?  If so, I have a BIG learning curve ahead of me.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Paul

Teppo Kurki

May 31, 2023, 4:50:35 AM5/31/23
to sig...@googlegroups.com
Please repost at

and include information about the message format and content. The detailed udp information here is needed but does not really help on deciphering the actual data.