Telegraf, SignalK, Node-Red...

Kelly Sanders

Jul 9, 2023, 3:29:55 PM7/9/23
to Signal K
I've searched but have not found a simple explaination of when to use each of these.  I'm automating a boat using Homeseer (Win10) for annunciation/security and Rpi4 for navigation.  Currently trying to get AIS data (via USB-serial) into 'something' to smoothly send from Win10 box to Rpi4 with BBN.  I could run a very long serial cable directly from AIS box (B600W) to Rpi4 but... what's the fun in that!  ;-)  Anyway, I first used Node-Red and it sort of worked but couldn't handle port interruptions so I tried Signal K but couldn't figure out how to get the serial port (Win10 box) into Signal K, so then thought... well if I'm going down the road of InfluxDB and Grafana, why not use Telegraf... see my spin?

Is there a simple way to choose which I should use for data ingestion, which for manipulation, which for automation, etc?

Thanks,

Zach Smith

Jul 9, 2023, 11:19:16 PM7/9/23
to sig...@googlegroups.com
SignalK = take in all the data from any source on your boat
NodeRed = automation task

Not sure where telegraf fits in here, but people generally use influxdb as the database for making dashboards in Grafana.

To get that ais data, you probably want SignalK on your Pi and a nmea2000 to usb adapter to connect to your boats network.  Then everything else can connect over ethernet or wifi to your pi to pull the needed data.

----

Zach Smith

Kelly Sanders

Jul 10, 2023, 5:24:06 PM7/10/23
to Signal K
Thanks Zach!  Sometimes it tuff to know if I should leverage the multiplexing built into the AIS unit, over wifi and usb/serial, or run it directly to the Pi4 and do the n2K route, as you mentioned.  Certainly seems easier to do the Pi with Openplotter as it has a serial app to setup  the AIS unit on the serial and pop that configuration into Signal K.  I really can't find that functionality in the Signal K Windows version.

thanks,

Tony Bentley

Jul 10, 2023, 5:26:26 PM7/10/23
to sig...@googlegroups.com
Kelly,

Are you aware of the InfluxDB plugin for Signalk? It can automatically push deltas in time series to InfluxDB. This would eliminate the need for telegraf as a metric provider.

Tony

Kelly Sanders

Jul 10, 2023, 7:18:15 PM7/10/23
to Signal K
I  wasn't!  Good news.  I did see the connection to Node-Red and will have to figure that one out.  As I'm configuring the USB/serial for the AIS is there an easy log/watch window to see the data?  Doesn't seem to show in the Server log.  In Node-Red it's easy with the Debug node.