Suzuki Engine Interface Cable / Fuel Usage

Nick Stockhaus

May 26, 2022, 12:03:13 PM5/26/22
to Signal K
Is anybody here familiar with using Signal K with a Suzuki outboard?

I can see the real-time fuel usages stats, which seem accurate in GPH.  I can also see the total fuel usage value, provided by the Engine Interface Cable, that slowly increments BUT I don't think it is being understood properly.  It currently sits at "0.03" units used, I don't know how to get Signal K to understand that this is likely telling us that 3 gallons have been used.

In conjunction with the above...

Modern Suzuki engines are designed to connect to their digital SMIS gauge for engine data to be displayed, including the fuel usage count.  My understanding is that you must input the tank size to the digital gauge, then when you fill up your tank (or add X gallons), you have to use the gauge to update the counter stats stored in the Engine Interface cable.   Is anybody familiar with using Signal K to send such a reset back to the Suzuki Engine Interface Cable?

Nick Stockhaus

May 30, 2022, 9:34:15 PM5/30/22
to Signal K
The name of the value is propulsion.port.trip.fuelUsed.  In the instrument panel the widget for this has no available customization to even specify a unit of measurement.  Im up to 0.05, still not even sure of that means 5 gallons or what.  Any help on what to do here are appreciated.  Im not a programmer but am a Linux guy and a NetSec engineer, promise you won't have to totally spell it out...just need direction.

kees

May 31, 2022, 2:43:13 AM5/31/22
to Signal K
Signal K units are all SI, like N2K, is all SI, so this will be in liters.

There are 2 levels of unknown here: what happens on the N2K bus, and what PGN should be sent to reset these values, and how does Signal K handle this further upstream. Not sure about either. Maybe someone on the Slack group has more knowledge about this; most Signal K users use that instead of these Google groups.

Regards,
Kees

Владимир Калачихин

May 31, 2022, 4:10:15 AM5/31/22
to Signal K
Let's do it here, Slack is very inconvenient.
First:
As I see in https://signalk.org/specification/1.7.0/doc/vesselsBranch.html
`/vessels/<RegExp>/propulsion/<RegExp>/fuel/used

Units: m3 (Cubic meter)

`
Second:
If you don't see the required - oops. Probably, the SignalK does not understand the data from your engine. Then you have to programme.