Spotlight on ... Christabel Chung

Special Interest Group for Translanguaging and Inclusive Education

Apr 30, 2024, 12:59:18 PMApr 30
to Special Interest Group for Translanguaging and Inclusive Education

      This week we meet Christabel Chunga Native English Teacher at a local primary school in Hong Kong. She is interested to learn about more teaching approaches to recognize and embrace students' multilingualism and create an inclusive learning environment.

thumbnail_christabel headshot.png

      What is your current role and what does it entail?

Currently, I serve as a Native English Teacher at a local primary school, where I teach students from both key stage one and two. In addition to delivering regular lessons, I organize engaging and interactive theme-based activities in our English room daily. These activities, such as debates, show and tell, spelling bees, song sharing, and movie discussions, aim to foster students' interest in the English language beyond the traditional classroom setting.

I am also in charge of leading the English Ambassadors, an esteemed group of students who have achieved outstanding academic results in English. Alongside preparing them for interschool competitions, I coordinate workshops and collaborate with an international school where I once studied. During these sessions, secondary school students from the international school assist in hosting activities, allowing our students to experience English in authentic, real-life situations, thereby showcasing the practicality and value of the language.

Therefore, my role as a teacher encompasses not only delivering lessons but also creating a dynamic and immersive learning environment through various engaging activities and collaborations, ultimately inspiring students to develop a genuine passion for the English language.

2.     What sparked your interest in translanguaging and/or inclusive education?

I developed an interest in inclusive education through my own experiences both as a student and a teacher. I grew up in an English-speaking environment and then later transitioned to a local school in Hong Kong at the age of 10. This transition exposed me first-hand to the difficulties of acquiring a second language in a classroom where my peers had the native command. My Chinese teacher went above and beyond to create a supportive and engaging classroom environment, which not only helped me overcome language barriers but also inspired me to become the teacher I am today.

I now value the importance of creating a safe and inclusive space when teaching my ESL students, hoping to allow them to become confident and thrive, regardless of their language proficiency or background. I believe that every student brings unique strengths and experiences to the classroom, and it is our responsibility as educators to value and leverage those differences.

3.     Which professional achievement or initiative are you most proud of?

Transitioning from a career in e-commerce marketing to becoming a NET teacher has been a transformative journey for me. While working in the fast-paced corporate world at the esteemed beauty company Estée Lauder in both the UK and HK offices, I gained invaluable insights, honed my communication skills, and developed exceptional multitasking abilities. However, I felt a deep longing for a more meaningful and influential career, one that would allow me to witness the tangible impact I could have on future generations. Inspired by my mother's footsteps and driven by my desire for greater fulfilment, I made the courageous decision to become a teacher.

Embracing this career change came with its share of challenges. I questioned whether I was relinquishing everything I had worked hard to achieve in the corporate realm. However, I can confidently say that my current role in education is the most fulfilling job I have ever had. Each day, I am continuously trying to become a better teacher and I love the continuous growth and learning my career brings. I learn not only from my talented colleagues and professional development courses but also from my students, who constantly inspire me.

This transition in my career is the accomplishment I am most proud of. It has allowed me to align my professional life with my passion for education, making a positive difference in the lives of others while continuously evolving as an individual.

4.     Tell us about a project you are working on now which is top of your to-do list?

I am currently involved in developing a Phonics program for P.1 and P.2 students at my school. This program aims to bridge the gap between kindergarten and primary school, ensuring that our students have a strong phonetic foundation in English.  Having the experience of being a NET Teacher in both kindergarten and primary settings, I offer a unique perspective when it comes to the needs and challenges faced by students during this transition and I am confident that my insights will greatly benefit the program by developing children’s letter-sound correspondence, phonemic awareness, decoding, blending, sight word recognition, fluency in reading, vocabulary building, and comprehension skills. I have also been actively expanding my knowledge in teaching phonics to Cantonese speakers by attending workshops particularly focusing on strategies that can help students in Hong Kong overcome obstacles and leverage their language learning abilities to acquire English. By integrating these elements into the program, my goal is to build a strong foundation in phonics for our second language learners to confidently decode and read unfamiliar words accurately.

5.     If you could give advice to your younger self, what would it be?

“Be a go-giver, not a go-getter.” When I first read the book ’The Go-Giver’ by Bob Burg and John David Mann (highly recommend!), it completely shifted my mindset and the way I approach life. Simply put, it is the philosophy that encourages us to shift our focus from self-centred pursuits to a more compassionate and giving mindset, recognising that ultimately true success and fulfilment comes from the positive impact we have on others and the contributions we make to the greater good. I wish I could go back to tell my younger self that although it is in our nature to prioritize personal success and achievements, we can try to exercise empathy, compassion, share what we know and have with others to create a supportive environment where everyone can thrive.

6.     Who has been a significant influence in your life?

My mother has been the most significant influence in my life. She was also a NET teacher in Hong Kong and for many years I was lucky enough to witness her dedication, enthusiasm, and the positive influence she had on her students. Ultimately, it was her encouragement that played a crucial role in my career transition. Her experience and expertise in the field provided me with guidance and valuable insights into the profession and motivated me to follow in her footsteps. Her passion for education and support inspired and empowered me to make the leap and change careers, ultimately shaping me into who I am today.

7.     What is something about you that would surprise people to know?

Last year, I discovered a newfound passion for baking after suddenly becoming lactose intolerant. As a result of this dietary change, I embarked on a journey to discover healthier dairy-free and vegan alternatives for my favourite foods, which can sometimes be challenging to find in Hong Kong. While I have developed a few interesting recipes, my vegan chocolate chip cookies stand out as my best creation. They have become a crowd favourite among my friends and family, who often visit my place just to indulge in one (usually more) and even take some home with them! :)

Professor Kevin W. H. Tai
BA (Hons 1) (Newcastle, UK), MSc (Oxon), PhD (UCL), FHEA, FRSA
Assistant Professor of Language and Literacy Education
Co-Director, Centre for Advancement in Inclusive and Special Education (CAISE)
Chair, Working Group for Research, Academic Unit of Language and Literacy Education
Faculty of Education
The University of Hong Kong
Honorary Research Fellow, IOE, UCL’s Faculty of Education and SocietyUniversity College London
EditorThe Language Learning Journal (Routledge)
Executive Guest EditorLearning and Instruction (Elsevier)
Awardee of RGC Early Career Award (ECA) (2023/24)Research Grants Council of Hong Kong
Email (HKU)kevi...@hku.hk
Email (UCL)kevin.tai@ucl.ac.uk
Telephone: (852) 3917 6107