Exploring Ethnic Minority Students’ Perspectives on Anxiety in Learning Chinese as an Additional Language: An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis

Special Interest Group for Translanguaging and Inclusive Education

Jun 28, 2024, 7:21:06 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to Special Interest Group for Translanguaging and Inclusive Education
Very pleased to share this paper, co-authored with my Research Assistant, Xinyi Wang, that discusses a significant area of research - ethnic students’ perceptions of their foreign language anxiety in relation to their Chinese as an Additional Language (CAL)learning. The paper is published in Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development (SSCI-indexed Journal) and the findings show that while Foreign Language Anxiety (FLA) can impact students’ CAL learning experiences, other personal and sociocultural factors also contribute to their lack of motivation to improve CAL learning, despite experiencing FLA. These factors include (1) the difficulty of learning CAL, (2) the widespread use of English-as-a-Lingua-Franca in HK society, and (3) the washback effects of CAL exit-point assessments.

We argue that the perceived relevance and importance of CAL in students’ lives are closely linked to FLA and can contribute to the lack of motivation observed in students with high or mid-level FLA. We also argue that it is imperative for the government to carefully revise the existing policy regarding alternative exit-point assessments in order to facilitate the integration of ethnic minority students into HK society.

Open Access: https://doi.org/10.1080/01434632.2024.2368053

Reference:
Tai, K. W. H. and Wang, X. 2024. ‘Exploring Ethnic Minority Students’ Perspectives on Anxiety in Learning Chinese as an Additional Language: An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis’. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. Epub head of Print. (SSCI-indexed Journal)

Best wishes,

Kevin Tai

Professor Kevin W. H. Tai
BA (Hons 1) (Newcastle, UK), MSc (Oxon), PhD (UCL), FHEA, FRSA
Assistant Professor of Language and Literacy Education
Co-Director, Centre for Advancement in Inclusive and Special Education (CAISE)
Chair, Working Group for Research, Academic Unit of Language and Literacy Education
Faculty of Education
The University of Hong Kong
Honorary Research Fellow, IOE, UCL’s Faculty of Education and SocietyUniversity College London
EditorThe Language Learning Journal (Routledge)
Executive Guest EditorLearning and Instruction (Elsevier)
Awardee of RGC Early Career Award (ECA) (2023/24)Research Grants Council of Hong Kong
Email (HKU)kevi...@hku.hk
Email (UCL)kevin.tai@ucl.ac.uk
Telephone: (852) 3917 6107

Alexander Tang

Jun 28, 2024, 7:38:45 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to Special Interest Group for Translanguaging and Inclusive Education
Congratulations, Dr. Kevin Tai and Ms. Xinyi Wang! This is a huge feat, and a great accomplishment!! I’m adding this article to my reading list!!!

Mālama pono,

Alex

Alexander F. Tang 鄧富健, M.A., M.Ed.
Doctoral Student, Department of Second Language Studies
Graduate Assistant, Center for Language & Technology
Language Learning & Technology Managing Editor, National Foreign Language Resource Center
College of Arts, Languages, and Letters
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Pronouns: He/他/  (What does this mean?)

HALT Member-at-Large, 2023-2025
HITESOL Social Media / Web Master, 2023-2024
TESOL AEIS Chair, 2024-2025

New publications!
Tang, A. F. (2023). Reflections from a Pedagogy of the Oppressed book reading inquiry circle. COABE Journal, 12(2), 121-125.