Spotlight on ... Alfred Lo

Special Interest Group for Translanguaging and Inclusive Education

Feb 29, 2024, 12:00:32 PMFeb 29
to Special Interest Group for Translanguaging and Inclusive Education
This week we meet Alfred Lo, DPhil student in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Oxford. He attained his Master of Science degree in Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition at the University of Oxford and graduated with distinction. His doctorate thesis is on AI and the curriculum, with a focus on the Hong Kong system and the Greater Bay Area schools.

Alfred Lo's profile: https://oxhkscholars.web.ox.ac.uk/people/alfred-lo

1.    What is your current role and what does it entail?

I'm Alfred Lo, a first-year DPhil (PhD) student in Modern Foreign Languages Education at the Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Oxford. Before starting my PhD, I worked as a full-time secondary English teacher in Hong Kong and Shenzhen.

2.    What sparked your interest in translanguaging and/or inclusive education?

My journey in translanguaging and inclusive education began quite unexpectedly. It all started in a 'village school'—a small yet vibrant rural school in Hong Kong, where I taught English to primary students for my teaching practicum, many of whom were SEN (Special Educational Needs) learners. The prevalent monolingual approach to English teaching in Hong Kong often left these SEN students feeling marginalised and struggling to connect with the language. After recognising this disconnect, I was driven to adapt my teaching strategies, drawing on verbal and non-verbal resources to create an inclusive environment that resonated with every child. For example, instead of relying solely on verbal instructions, I designed multimodal task cards for autistic students and placed them on their desks so they could follow at their own pace. At the time, I wasn't familiar with the term 'translanguaging,' but reflecting on my teaching, I realised the immense value of creating a translanguaging space, where utilising multiple resources could support and truly engage every student.

3.    Which professional achievement or initiative are you most proud of?

Ten years ago, pursuing a doctoral degree seemed like a distant, unattainable dream. Fast forward to today, and I am actively working towards that very degree, deeply immersed in my favourite fields of study. I believe this is an achievement that many doctoral students, or those who have already earned their doctorates, can echo.

4.    Tell us about a project you are working on now which is top of your to-do list?

My passion for translanguaging was ignited upon witnessing its impact on SEN students.  I realised that language education is not just about grammar or vocabulary; it's about creating safe, equitable, and empowering learning environments. This philosophy drives my current work with the Oxford Undergraduate Admission and Outreach, where we're striving to spark an interest in the uptake of modern languages for underprivileged students in England through innovative pedagogical approaches. I believe that adopting pedagogical translanguaging and creating translanguaging spaces can effectively motivate and engage students.

5.    If you could give advice to your younger self, what would it be?

I always wanted to be a language teacher, dreaming of a future filled with red pens and grading papers. If I could sit down with my younger self, I would advise him to look beyond the papers and marks because education is about the minds a teacher shapes and the hearts they touch. Also, a language educator should make learning fun and help students feel brave enough to speak up and share their thoughts in a new language. That's the real adventure of language teaching!

6.    Who has been a significant influence in your life?

I can’t single out just one person – I’ve been fortunate to have many great teachers who have influenced me at different stages of my life.

7.    What is something about you that would surprise people to know?

What might surprise people is that, alongside my passion for language education, I have a keen interest in Korean Studies—both in South and North Korea. I went to North Korea in 2016, where I had the unique opportunity to travel around the country and teach an English lesson. Surprisingly, the students understood me quite well, which deepened my fascination with the language and culture. If you share an interest in the Korean peninsula, be it in the South or the North, I’d love to hear more from you! :D (my email: alfr...@ames.ox.ac.uk.)

Professor Kevin W. H. Tai
BA (Hons 1) (Newcastle, UK), MSc (Oxon), PhD (UCL), FHEA, FRSA
Assistant Professor of Language and Literacy Education
Co-Director, Centre for Advancement in Inclusive and Special Education (CAISE)
Chair, Working Group for Research, Academic Unit of Language and Literacy Education
Faculty of Education
The University of Hong Kong
Honorary Research Fellow, IOE, UCL’s Faculty of Education and SocietyUniversity College London
EditorThe Language Learning Journal (Routledge)
Executive Guest EditorLearning and Instruction (Elsevier)
Awardee of RGC Early Career Award (ECA) (2023/24)Research Grants Council of Hong Kong
Email (HKU)kevi...@hku.hk
Email (UCL)kevin.tai@ucl.ac.uk
Telephone: (852) 3917 6107