Tahoe Donner Ski-O Event Information for Thursday 1-Feb-2013

1 view

Tony Pinkham

Feb 1, 2013, 12:52:53 AM2/1/13
to Bay O-Net, Sierra Ski-O Tour, sierra-ski-...@googlegroups.com, Mike Poulsen, Scott Drumm, Ann Wiselogle, liz muckerman, Karen S, Carol Schick, Jonis, Anna Voegele, Brenda Giese, Sharon Crawford, Kerie Raymond, Roberta Nancy Mulford, Damian Swift, Dan Greene, Jonathan Owens

The Day-7 event is a score-format Ski-O event designed and set by Denise Kowal and Jonathan Owens. With this format, you get 60 minutes to find as many controls (in any order) and return to the finish. For each control that you find, you get one point. If you stay out beyond 60 minutes, you lose 5 points for each minute or fraction of a minute beyond your time limit. There are 42 controls for you to look for...find as many as you can. If the time limit changes, we will let you know when you check in or register.

One-Day Embargo Area for Competitors

If you are competing in this event, most of Tahoe Donner Cross Country is embargoed for the day before this event. You can ski in Euer Valleyand on the following three trails leading to that valley: North ForkPony Express, and Night Hawk. The other beginner trails (Cup of TeaLion's LeapSilver Streak, and Piece of Cake, plus the entire Home Range (the hill above the lodge) are closed to competitors while we prepare the courses. Any exceptions to this embargo must be made by an Event Director.

Registration and Prices

Pre-registration has closed, but you can register at the event. Event fees are required of all competitors (but not of guardians that shadow children on a course). Trail passes are required only if you do not already have a trail pass for that day. Registration is open from 9 AM (or shortly after that) to Noon.

If you pre-registered and ordered a discount trail pass, you can pick up your trail pass from Registration. If you did not pre-register and do not already have a trail pass, you must buy one at full price from the cross country sales desk.

Competitors who come from outside the USA can pay their registration fees (in U.S. dollars) when they show up at the event.

Beginner Clinics

Free beginner clinics, which typically last 15 to 20 minutes, are available to any competitor who needs to learn how to use the map and learn about the rules of the sport. If you need a beginner clinic, let the registrar or event director know and we will direct you to the person giving the clinics. Typically, we have a person assigned to give clinics from 9:30 to 11:00. After 11:00, we can find someone to give you the clinic but you might have to wait a few minutes.

Starts

All competitors will be assigned start times between 10:00 AM and 12:30 PM on a first-come-first-serve basis. Typically, you get faster snow with the earlier start times.

Directions

From the Bay Area, Sacramento, or Reno:

  1. From I-80 exit into Truckee (about 100 miles east of Sacramento) at Exit 184.
  2. Turn left onto Donner Pass Road and go 0.5 miles to Northwoods Blvd (signal).
  3. Turn left onto Northwoods Blvd and go about three miles to Fjord Road (you'll see a sign for the cross country area before you reach the road).
  4. Turn right onto Fjord Road and go less than 0.1 miles to Alder Creek Road.
  5. Turn left onto Alder Creek Road and go about 0.5 miles to the cross country parking area on the left. If the parking lot is full, park along the street.

Check in and registration are upstairs in the main building.

Food

Tahoe Donner Cross Country has a cafe that serves chill, sandwiches, and various other snacks.

Thanks

  • Denise Kowal and Jonathan Owens are setting courses and directing this event.
  • Mike PoulsenScott Drumm are running Registration.
  • Tony Pinkham and Kerie Raymond are running E-punch.
  • Sally Jones is in charge of the Tahoe Donner Cross Country resort.