Installation failed for 2.1.1.1012

Phil Booth

Nov 13, 2007, 5:33:21 AM11/13/07
to sidewind...@googlegroups.com
[Reposted from the defunct forum on www.swcube.com, original poster was Aaron]

I tried to install the latest sidewinder on windows. It progressed for
a while then came up with a message box saying,

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run
as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support
personnel or package vendor."

I did not see a list of prereqs, so I have no idea if it is something
wrong with my machine or not.

--Aaron

Phil Booth

Nov 13, 2007, 5:41:00 AM11/13/07
to sidewinder-users
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for reporting this. Would it be possible for you to re-try the
install, but with verbose logging enabled? The link below [1] has full
details about enabling Windows Installer logging, but the nub and the
gist of it is that you need to add the following value to your
registry:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
Value Name: Logging
Value Type: Reg_SZ
Value Data: voicewarmup

If you run the install again after this registry value has been added,
a log file will be generated in your TEMP directory, with a name of
they type Msi?????.log. Once you've posted this log file to the list,
I'll take a look into it and see what the problem is.

Regards,
Phil.

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314852

On Nov 13, 10:33 am, "Phil Booth" <pmbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Reposted from the defunct forum onwww.swcube.com, original poster was Aaron]

aaron

Nov 13, 2007, 2:05:45 PM11/13/07
to sidewinder-users
Hi Phil,

I emailed the log to you. 6000 lines seemed a little too much to
post :-)

Good luck,
--Aaron

Phil Booth

Nov 14, 2007, 9:39:50 AM11/14/07
to sidewind...@googlegroups.com
Aaron,

Thanks for the log file, I've had a look at it and raised ticket #48
[1] for the bug. Quick question for you: Was this installation on
Vista?

Phil.

[1] http://sw.swcube.com/ticket/48

aaron

Nov 14, 2007, 12:21:19 PM11/14/07
to sidewinder-users
Hi Phil,

Nope, Windows XP SP2.

BTW, I had installed Sidewinder 2.1.0-1005 on this same machine. I
can't remember now if I removed it prior to trying to install this new
one. I'm thinking not, but I'm not sure.

--Aaron

On Nov 14, 8:39 am, "Phil Booth" <pmbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aaron,
>
> Thanks for the log file, I've had a look at it and raised ticket #48
> [1] for the bug. Quick question for you: Was this installation on
> Vista?
>
> Phil.
>
> [1]http://sw.swcube.com/ticket/48
>
> On Nov 13, 2007 7:05 PM, aaron <aar...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Phil,
>
> > I emailed the log to you. 6000 lines seemed a little too much to
> > post :-)
>
> > Good luck,
> > --Aaron

Phil Booth

Nov 14, 2007, 1:06:21 PM11/14/07
to sidewind...@googlegroups.com
Okay, can you try uninstalling any existing version(s) via the
Add/Remove Programs dialog, then having another go at installing
2.1.1.1012? There shouldn't be a problem with upgrading from older
versions, but it'd be good to rule it out...

aaron

Nov 14, 2007, 1:15:04 PM11/14/07
to sidewinder-users
If I hadn't already uninstalled it, it is gone now. Doesn't appear in
my Add/Remove programs anymore.

--Aaron

Phil Booth

Nov 15, 2007, 6:51:41 AM11/15/07
to sidewinder-users
Hi Aaron,

I've made a couple of changes to the installer project that may or may
not address this problem. Probably not, given how my week has panned
out thus far, but it's still worth a shot. The new release is
available from the Sidewinder project page [1].

My next task is going to be to add proper logging to that part of the
code, so if the new release doesn't help you, that should hopefully
let me get to the bottom of the problem.

Cheers,
Phil.

[1] http://www.swcube.com/project/swviewer

aaron

Nov 15, 2007, 4:06:29 PM11/15/07
to sidewinder-users
Hi Phil,

Sorry to tell you that 2.1.1.1013 also didn't install. It failed at
the same place as the previous version.

When you have a new version with more logging ready, let me know and
I'll try it out.

--Aaron

Phil Booth

Dec 8, 2007, 6:36:14 AM12/8/07
to sidewind...@googlegroups.com
Just updating this thread quickly, as the discussion was continued at
length off-list. The upshot is that, as of version 2.1.1.1018 of
Sidewinder, this problem should be resolved. The installer was failing
because of the regserver custom action that was being invoked to write
various registry settings which Sidewinder relies upon. This custom
action has now been removed and the registry values are being written
directly from the MSI database. The ticket [1] association with this
problem has now been closed accordingly.

[1] http://sw.swcube.com/ticket/48