Running multiple processes on one machine with MRI

John Bachir

Apr 24, 2015, 3:31:06 PM4/24/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
I've been running JRuby for a while, so I could scale with threads. Now I am potentially moving back to MRI. Is it possible to run multiple sidekiq processes on the same multi-core machine? I was surprised to find zero discussion of this around the web, so it's either impossible to do easily or I'm using the wrong search terms...

I'm on Heroku, if that is relevant.

Thanks!
John

John Bachir

Apr 24, 2015, 3:34:26 PM4/24/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
If sidekiq doesn't manage this itself, this level of indirection seems to be a potential solution: http://stackoverflow.com/a/24948177/168143

Abhi Rao

Apr 24, 2015, 3:45:16 PM4/24/15
to sid...@googlegroups.com
This is definitely possible. To process some large chunks of work where IO was not the main concern I've spun up multiple sidekiq processes on multiple VMs. But this was not on Heroku.

My understanding of Heroku is that each dyno just runs one process. So for e.g. you can set up one dyno or multiple dynos - each would only run one sidekiq process but each process will run jobs concurrently (MRI will switch threads during IO waits).