Re: SINET Digest - 1 Dec 2021 to 2 Dec 2021 (#2021-162)

Nisha E Abraham

Dec 3, 2021, 10:56:40 AM12/3/21
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu
Hi Jeff,

How are you assessing the drive of the cross-section of students that attend SI?

Unfortunately the self-selection bias has been a critique of SI for a long time, but there have been multiple studies using different metrics to control for that self-selection (motivation survey scales, mandatory SI sessions, controlling or matching for student demographics).

I have attached several papers, as well as two papers I've published in peer-reviewed journals, using SAT scores as a control (not the best) and also using prior programming experience as a control. In the Fall 2020 paper, we created "mandatory" SI sessions, mainly by having the professor strongly recommend students sign up for sessions ahead of time, limit the size and roster of each session and use language to let students know that the session they chose would be the one they would attend each week. There is some rich quantitative data there about how attending sessions with the same students and Leader had positive impact. It was the first semester that we saw a significant increase in attendance as a percentage of total enrollment.

If your goal is to market/promote SI to the students to don't regularly attend, the Terrion & Daoust (2011) paper makes a tough point, "...in contrast to the findings of numerous other studies cited above, and despite the objectives of the RSGP, participation in this program does not appear to make a difference to the final mark of students in at-risk classes who choose to participate... On the other hand, if the goal of the program is to ensure that students become academically and socially integrated during their first year of university, and that the sense of belonging that is created through this integration process results in greater retention of these students, then our data show that the program is, in fact, effective."

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that students are looking for short term benefits, aka exam or final grade increases, which can be shown in some studies, but not in all. In the past, I've used exam grade comparisons to encourage students to start attending SI after that first tough exam, but as you've pointed out, if your highly prepared/highly resourced students are mainly attending SI, the increased exam grade outcomes might be explained by that. I have definitely seen more long term and qualitative benefits, such as retention and persistence, as well as increased sense of belonging and sense of community.

One other thing that came out of our study last year was that students we interviewed felt that their classmates likely didn't know/understand what SI was, and how it was different than tutoring, discussion sections, office hours, etc. Additionally, we know student word of mouth can be very powerful in increasing attendance. I am hoping we can start creating short videos to show what SI sessions look like, as well as encourage students to bring a friend to SI sessions.

Hope this is helpful,

~Nisha

Nisha Abraham (she/her/hers) | Assistant Director, Sanger Learning Center | School of Undergraduate Studies
512-232-1962 | nisha....@austin.utexas.edu | www.utexas.edu/ugs/slc <applewebdata://EE616D09-2182-4DA7-A5F1-BF67AC38DB27/www.utexas.edu/ugs/slc>

On 12/3/21, 12:11 AM, "Supplemental Instruction Discussion List on behalf of SINET automatic digest system" <SI...@LISTSERV.UMKC.EDU on behalf of LIST...@LISTSERV.UMKC.EDU> wrote:

Topics of the day:

1. Documentation (2)

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at <http://groups.google.com/group/si-net>
-----

To add or remove from this mailing list, please go to
<http://listserv.umkc.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=SINET&A=1>
or send an email message to the address list...@listserv.umkc.edu,
with the text SIGNOFF SINET in the body of the message.
You are subscribed to the SINET list as nisha....@AUSTIN.UTEXAS.EDU.
Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 13:59:19 +0000
From: "jeffrey.fossum" <jeffrey...@HCCS.EDU>
Subject: Documentation

We collect data on the success of students that participate in SI sessions v not.
But the cross-section of students that participate tends to be thick with those that already have the drive, and time, to do the work to succeed.
Has anybody done or seen a hard core, double blind, peer reviewed, duplicatable, study on success rate.
I'm after the students that need a little more push or don't think they need to participate.
To encourage them to find the time.

Thank you;
jeff

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 09:26:50 -0800
From: Lexie Tapke <lta...@UCSC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Documentation

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for your question - I hope folks can reply all so I can hear any

Best,

Lexie Tapke
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Program Coordinator
Modified Supplemental Instruction (MSI) Program Coordinator
Learning Support Services (LSS)
University of California, Santa Cruz
lta...@ucsc.edu <stca...@ucsc.edu> | 831-502-7074
TUTOR TRAC <https://ucsc.go-redrock.com/tracweb40/main.4sp>

Front Desk Staff, Monday - Friday 9AM - 5PM (EST)
<https://ucsc.zoom.us/j/9650365554?pwd=ZDdvU2MvUkEzMUdOS3haamhCOW9DQT09>
lss.ucsc.edu | Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/LSSUCSC/> | Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/lssucsc/>
*#GLOBALBLACKLIVESMATTER
<http://calband.berkeley.edu/media/social-actions-black-lives-matter-movement/>*
#SantaCruzBlackLivesMatter
<https://scvolunteercenter.org/organizing-for-racial-equity/>
<https://lss.ucsc.edu/>

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 6:06 AM jeffrey.fossum <jeffrey...@hccs.edu>
wrote:

> We collect data on the success of students that participate in SI sessions
> v not.
> But the cross-section of students that participate tends to be thick with
> those that already have the drive, and time, to do the work to succeed.
> Has anybody done or seen a hard core, double blind, peer reviewed,
> duplicatable, study on success rate.
> I'm after the students that need a little more push or don't think they
> need to participate.
> To encourage them to find the time.
>
> Thank you;
> jeff
>
> To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at
> http://groups.google.com/group/si-net
>

> To add or remove from this mailing list, please go to &LT;
> http://listserv.umkc.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=SINET&AMP;A=1
> <http://listserv.umkc.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=SINET&A=1>&GT; or send an
> email message to the address list...@listserv.umkc.edu, with the text
> SIGNOFF SINET in the body of the message.
>
> You are subscribed to the SINET list as lta...@UCSC.EDU.
> Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at <http://groups.google.com/group/si-net>
-----

To add or remove from this mailing list, please go to
<http://listserv.umkc.edu/scripts/wa.exe?SUBED1=SINET&A=1>
or send an email message to the address list...@listserv.umkc.edu,
with the text SIGNOFF SINET in the body of the message.
You are subscribed to the SINET list as nisha....@AUSTIN.UTEXAS.EDU.
Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

End of SINET Digest - 1 Dec 2021 to 2 Dec 2021 (#2021-162)
with the text SIGNOFF SINET in the body of the message.
You are subscribed to the SINET list as si-net-gar...@GOOGLEGROUPS.COM.
Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.
Supplemental Instruction- Whom Does it Serve.pdf
Increasing Students Success When Supplemental Instruction Becomes Mandatory.pdf
effectiveness-of-the-supplemental-instruction-program-in-first-year-engineering-courses-a-longitudinal-report-2015-2018.pdf
ASEE 2021 Final Draft_ Cohort-Based Supplemental Instruction Sessions as a Holistic Retention Approach in a First Year Engineering Course.pdf
ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF SUPPLEMENTAL INSTRUCTION ON THE RETENTION OF UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS AFTER CONTROLLING FOR MOTIVATION.pdf