Documentation

jeffrey.fossum

Dec 2, 2021, 9:05:49 AM12/2/21
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu
We collect data on the success of students that participate in SI sessions v not.
But the cross-section of students that participate tends to be thick with those that already have the drive, and time, to do the work to succeed.
Has anybody done or seen a hard core, double blind, peer reviewed, duplicatable, study on success rate.
I'm after the students that need a little more push or don't think they need to participate.
To encourage them to find the time.

Thank you;
jeff

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as si-net-gar...@GOOGLEGROUPS.COM.
Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

Lexie Tapke

Dec 2, 2021, 12:29:22 PM12/2/21
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu
Hi Jeff,
Thank you for your question - I hope folks can reply all so I can hear any responses as well!

Best,

Lexie Tapke
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Program Coordinator
Modified Supplemental Instruction (MSI) Program Coordinator
Learning Support Services (LSS)
University of California, Santa Cruz
lta...@ucsc.edu | 831-502-7074

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 6:06 AM jeffrey.fossum <jeffrey...@hccs.edu> wrote:
We collect data on the success of students that participate in SI sessions v not.
But the cross-section of students that participate tends to be thick with those that already have the drive, and time, to do the work to succeed.
Has anybody done or seen a hard core, double blind, peer reviewed, duplicatable, study on success rate.
I'm after the students that need a little more push or don't think they need to participate.
To encourage them to find the time.

Thank you;
jeff

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as lta...@UCSC.EDU.

Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

Kloppe, Sally J.

Dec 14, 2021, 8:29:58 PM12/14/21
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu
It's by no means an official study, but in 2020, I compared GPA of students in classes supported by SI.  Near the end of the semester, I randomly took about 45 students who had attended SI at least five times and about 70 students who never attended SI and looked at their cumulative GPA.
The average GPA of those who attended SI was 3.36. The average GPA of those who never attended SI was 2.43. Clearly I don't advertise this to faculty. When I try to get buy-in for SI, I say "Those who attend SI earn an average of a half to a whole letter grade higher."  That's true. I don't say anything to imply that attending SI is the reason for the higher grade.  Many students benefit from SI, and I don't want to just focus on the grade. Here is what one attendee wrote to her SI (PAL) leader just a couple weeks ago:

Dear Lyneé,
I wanted to send you a message before the end of the semester hits us. I am extremely grateful to have had the chance to create a friendship with you. You are so inspiring, and have proven that our generation is still very capable. You have been a great mentor, friend, and PAL. This is the first time I have truly felt excited to learn about history, thanks to both you and Dr. Collins. You continue to encourage me even on the tough days, and I have never entered the PAL meeting without being so excitedly greeted! You have no idea just how much that impacts my day! You are great, and you have inspired me to think much larger than just social standards. You and your goals have also inspired me to be more in-tune with my generation, so we can work on bettering this nation together! I hope this message leaves you satisfied in knowing that you have left a mark on your students.
Sincerely,
Haylee

Sally Kloppe
she/her/hers