Best practices for finding SI Leaders

Jonjay Stockslader

Oct 1, 2021, 8:35:21 AM10/1/21
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu

Good day,

As we look forward to spring 2022, I was curious as to the Best Practices that you use to find SI Leaders. We have used class lists from previous semesters and reached out to students via email; posted the opportunity, etc.  However, I was looking to see what other methods SI Programs use. Thanks

Jay Stockslader, Director
Online Learning and Continuing Education
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Coordinator
University at Buffalo
College of Arts and Sciences
jst...@buffalo.edu

cid:image001.png@01D75225.022362A0

“The noblest art is that of making others happy”  P.T. Barnum

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as si-net-gar...@GOOGLEGROUPS.COM.
Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

image001.png

Zenon Sommers

Oct 1, 2021, 8:43:45 AM10/1/21
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu
Hi Jay,

Our program uses several methods of recruitment. We haven't used class lists as such, but we do ask faculty and SI leaders to recommend students they think would perform well in the position. We also reach out to certain student organizations associated with areas in which we need more SI leaders. For example, when we needed engineering SI leaders, we asked the rocket science club to reach out to their membership with the opportunity.

Finally, we've had great success asking academic advisors, especially those specializing in first-year students, to identify highly motivated students who would be good candidates for the position. Many of our employees who were referred by academic advisors are performing well and are early enough in their college educations that they could continue working with us for a second, third, or even fourth year.

I hope that helps!

Best,
Zenon Sommers
Assistant SI Supervisor, UM-Dearborn

As we look forward to spring 2022, I was curious as to the Best Practices that you use to find SI Leaders. We have used class lists from previous semesters and reached out to students via email; posted the opportunity, etc.  However, I was looking to see what other methods SI Programs use. Thanks

Jay Stockslader, Director
Online Learning and Continuing Education
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Coordinator
University at Buffalo
College of Arts and Sciences
jst...@buffalo.edu

cid:image001.png@01D75225.022362A0

“The noblest art is that of making others happy”  P.T. Barnum

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as zsom...@UMICH.EDU.

Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

Kristen Thompson

Oct 1, 2021, 10:24:58 AM10/1/21
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu
Good morning,

Below are all the things we are currently using for recruitment for Spring 2022. Our Student Success Center includes both PASS and tutoring, and we recruit and interview together.
  • Set up tables in several key locations on campus the week that applications are due to promote open positions and answer questions
  • Email all students on the President's and Dean's lists with subject areas we are hiring for
  • Run reports for key courses and email students previously or currently enrolled that meet minimum qualifications (if we are low on applications for a particular course/subject area)
  • Request faculty recommendations
  • Request academic advisor recommendations
  • Make announcements and hand out info cards in key courses
  • Have current student workers share in academic clubs they're involved in
  • Post digital signs on monitors around campus
  • Post posters in residence halls
  • Put announcement in campus-wide student newsletter and individual college newsletters
  • Put application due date on the campus events calendar
  • Post current student worker testimonials on social media
  • Partner with college deans and associate deans to come up with other ideas (e.g., one college offered to provide an additional stipend to students who support particular courses that are difficult to recruit for due to higher-paying off-campus job opportunities)
I hope that helps, and I'd love to hear other ideas too!

Best,
Kristen

You are subscribed to the SINET list as knm...@UAH.EDU.

Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.