Registration and Conference Proposals:47 ACTLA Online Conference April 20-22

Vandana Gavaskar

Jan 24, 2022, 2:38:38 AM1/24/22
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu

 I’m happy to share with you all that registration for the 47th annual Association of Colleges for Tutoring and Learning Assistance Conference is now open!

Join us on April 20th - April 22nd, 2022,  for our second virtual conference, hosted once more via the Pathable conferencing system. The theme of this year’s conference is: Learning Without Limit(ation)s: Tutoring and Learning Assistance Meeting Students Where They Are! This year, we respond to continuing changes to our global world and to our local contexts to empower students as they learn against great odds. We invite you to consider how we are transforming our learning pedagogies with students at the center, and how we are empowering students to transform learning and their lives in our centers, classrooms, and learning communities.

Strands for this year’s conference include:

  • New Coordinators Toolkit (1-6 years) - Diversity, equity, and inclusion in centers; leadership; navigating institutional waters
  • Learning Coaches/Instructional Assistants - Facilitating groups effectively; Liaison work with faculty; Growth mindset practices/activities
  • Tutors/Students - Resilience as a hybrid (employee/student identity); Sharing community/cultural wealth; Peer mentoring as liberation
  • Emergent Practices in a COVID World – online tutoring, remote collaboration methods, platforms, and structures for in-person, remote, and/or hybrid tutoring

Conference information, including registration feed, timelines, and registration links can be found on our newly updated website here. For your convenience, we have included this information below as well:

Category

Early Bird Registration Until January 31st, 2022

General Registration Closes April 8th, 2022

Professional

$200 (includes annual membership)

$250 (includes annual membership)

Retiree

$100 (includes annual membership)

$100 (includes annual membership)

Student

Free (register with student’s email address)

Free (register with student’s email address)

Four Pre-Conference deep drives will kick off the conferences this year:

  1. Empowering Faculty and Tutors to Develop Equity-Minded and Student-Centered Practices for Online Tutoring
  2. Using Peer-Assisted Learning to Increase Engagement & Student Retention
  3. Spotlight: ACTLA Online Tutoring Certification Narratives
  4. Peer Educator Power: Learning and Leading Through Communities of Care

We invite you to submit a proposal!

Share your learning, struggles, and successes in our ACTLA community through presentations, workshops, and active learning that models our pedagogies! To meet you, our members, where you are and to help our community learn without limitations, we are rolling out new proposal formats this year:

  • Lightning Round": 15-20 min “burst” of learning/information/presentation, with the remaining time for application, metacognitive activity, or audience discussion. Total 30 mins.
  • “Roundtable" main speaker participation: 1 hr serves as a field expert to answer/participate in dialogue around prepared questions around a conference strand.
  • "Interactive workshop": 1 hr workshops should center around collaborative audience activities and application of a tool or approach related to a conference strand. An oldie but a goodie, our classic interactive workshop format.

Students are free and highly encouraged to present! Are your tutors, SI Leaders, or peer coaches doing something innovative and exciting in their sessions? Have them submit a workshop proposal to model their approach for their peers. Do your students have insight into online tutoring best practices they can share with the ACTLA community? Have them submit a Lightning Round proposal!

Proposal submissions accepted here! Due date: Friday, February 4th.

We look forward to another dynamic and exciting conference with you all this year! If you have any questions about the conference or the proposal you wish to submit, contact Christina Trujillo, our Conference Coordinator, at ctru...@calpoly.edu, or Vandana Gavaskar, ACTLA President.

Sincerely,

The ACTLA Board

Meet the ACTLA Board!

Best,

Christina Trujillo, MFA

Pronouns: she/her/hers

805-756-6036

Ctru...@calpoly.edu

Tutor Coordinator, Writing and Learning Center

Office of Writing and Learning Initiatives

Academic Affairs, Academic Programs and Planning

Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as si-net-gar...@GOOGLEGROUPS.COM.
Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.