Interactive Activities for Memorizing Muscles for Anatomy and Physiology SI

Futhey, Samantha (sfuthey@uidaho.edu)

Oct 20, 2023, 2:44:43 PM10/20/23
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu

Hello SI Colleagues,

One of my Anatomy and Physiology SI leaders is trying to think of creative and interactive ways for students to memorize different muscle groups. They are using the lab space for the course and have permission to use the cadavers, but those cadavers already have the muscles marked and they want to do activities beyond covering up the tags and quizzing the students. Does any who has worked with A&P leaders/courses have ideas for how to make memorization more engaging? Thanks!

Best,

SAMANTHA FUTHEY, MFA
She/Her

Senior Academic Coordinator
Academic Support Programs

Vandal Success Center

3rd floor ISUB
sfu...@uidaho.edu

http://www.uidaho.edu/si

208-885-1681

Fall 2023 Office Hours:

M-W 8:30 am-5:30 pm

R 8:30 am-6:30 pm

F 8:30 am-4:30 pm

University of Idaho

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as si-net-gar...@GOOGLEGROUPS.COM.
Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

JOHNSON, KATHLEEN

Oct 20, 2023, 4:52:23 PM10/20/23
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu

Hello,

Some common activities my SI Leaders have done over the years for this topic, plus a new one someone did this semester:

  • Simon Says (or SI Says for those not wanting to be called Simon): SI Leader names different muscles and the students must point to it, but ONLY if the statement starts with “SI says”. Great kinesthetic icebreaker option.
  • Muscle Movement Dance – Combining the motions with the muscles, students create a “dance” and must teach it to the room, but they can ONLY use the muscle names and motions. Example, the combo of (1) depression of shoulders, (2) inversion of the feet, and (3) protraction of the jaw creates the “Caveman” dance.
  • Label Me Like A French Girl – Using masking tape, students must label themselves by the muscles. Works with bones and axis practice too.
  • Body Outline – Get a big piece of butcher paper, outline a person on it. Then students must label the large diagram. Add sticky notes or another color to add on a layer of information about the functions. (for my EMT class, they instead list out symptoms and stats of the patient)
  • Identification Poetry – Students write poems about the different muscles (or body parts in general) but they cannot name it. Other students have to guess what they wrote about.
  • LinkedIn – Create a job profile for the muscles. Pictures can be added too.
  • Matrix – Fill out a matrix about the topic, per the classic approach.
  • Card Game – After establishing the hierarchy with the systems, I had a SI Leader set up a custom card deck with the muscles and they played the card game War. She used the website https://playingcards.io/ to create a virtual room (it was a virtual session)

Hope that helps!

Kate Johnson, MAT (Pronouns: she, her)
Learning Commons Managing Associate – Supplemental Instruction | Learning Commons
Adjunct | Mathematics
Tarrant County College, Northeast Campus | Office: NACB 1207
828 W. Harwood Rd | Hurst, TX 76054
Office: 817-515-6051 | 817-515-6576
kathleen...@tccd.edu | www.tccd.edu

[...]

Image removed by sender. University of Idaho

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as kathleen...@TCCD.EDU.

Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.