SI for Lab sections

Joelle E Curry

Jan 27, 2022, 9:36:42 AM1/27/22
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu

Hi colleagues,

We’ve been asked to start offering SI for our Anatomy and Physiology lab sections this fall.  Currently, our SI leaders only support the lecture portion of our SI courses.  The model we are planning would designate specific SI leaders to attend lab instead of lecture, and those SI leaders would run sessions based on lab content only (instead of an integrated approach).  Does anyone have any experience with SI specifically for Labs?  Any tips or information would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Joelle Curry

Senior Supplemental Instruction Coordinator

Office:  262-524-7176

carrollu.edu

100 N. East Avenue | Waukesha, WI 53186

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as si-net-gar...@GOOGLEGROUPS.COM.
Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

Futhey, Samantha (sfuthey@uidaho.edu)

Jan 27, 2022, 12:10:56 PM1/27/22
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu

Hello Joelle,

I worked with my leader who supports Anatomy and Physiology to incorporate attending one of the lab sections as a part of her weekly hours last semester and we’re trying it again this semester. A lot of students asked questions about the lab material and she found that going to one lab section each week gave her enough insight to integrate lab material into her sessions. We talked about hiring another leader just for the lab sections, but decided against it, as the labs were mostly activity based and it would not be valuable time spent for the leader to attend every lab section. However, adding some lab material into her sessions that focused mainly on the lecture did help the students.

I hope this information helps! I can also ask my leader more about how that’s going if you want more ideas.

Best,

SAMANTHA FUTHEY, MFA
She/Her/Hers

SI-PASS Coordinator
Academic Support Programs
Vandal Success Center, ISUB 3rd Floor
sfu...@uidaho.edu

208-885-1681

University of Idaho

We’ve been asked to start offering SI for our Anatomy and Physiology lab sections this fall.  Currently, our SI leaders only support the lecture portion of our SI courses.  The model we are planning would designate specific SI leaders to attend lab instead of lecture, and those SI leaders would run sessions based on lab content only (instead of an integrated approach).  Does anyone have any experience with SI specifically for Labs?  Any tips or information would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Joelle Curry

Senior Supplemental Instruction Coordinator

Office:  262-524-7176

carrollu.edu

100 N. East Avenue | Waukesha, WI 53186

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as sfu...@UIDAHO.EDU.

Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

Utz, Elmira

Jan 27, 2022, 1:39:14 PM1/27/22
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu
On our campus the SI Leader supporting A&P also attends the labs. This way they can incorporate them into their sessions later. Also, the instructors have consistently requested the support in the classroom. It's been a success overall.

Elmira Utz
SI Program Coordinator
Tacoma Community College
6501 South 19th Street, #11
Tacoma  WA  98466
253.566.5383 (Phone/Fax)

CAUTION: This email originated from outside Tacoma Community College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you validate the sender and know the content is safe. If you are unsure, contact the IT Help Desk at x4357 (253-460-4357) or email sup...@tacomacc.edu.

Hi colleagues,

We’ve been asked to start offering SI for our Anatomy and Physiology lab sections this fall.  Currently, our SI leaders only support the lecture portion of our SI courses.  The model we are planning would designate specific SI leaders to attend lab instead of lecture, and those SI leaders would run sessions based on lab content only (instead of an integrated approach).  Does anyone have any experience with SI specifically for Labs?  Any tips or information would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Joelle Curry

Senior Supplemental Instruction Coordinator

Office:  262-524-7176

carrollu.edu

100 N. East Avenue | Waukesha, WI 53186

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as eu...@TACOMACC.EDU.

Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

Rikki Gaddy

Jan 27, 2022, 4:50:33 PM1/27/22
to SI...@listserv.umkc.edu

Hi All,

We’ve also been asked to provide some Lab support with our embedded leaders, having only supported the lecture up until now. Our student workers are limited to only working 19.5 hours/week. I’m curious to know what the hour limits are for your student workers per week and how do you include them attending lecture, lab, planning, and sessions into their schedules? Do you have an hour breakdown?

Much Appreciated,

Rikki

Rikki Gaddy

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Program Coordinator

Academic Success Center

be connected  office 702.992.2993 | Rikki...@nsc.edu

be here  1300 Nevada State Drive  |  rsc 256  |  Henderson, NV 89002

be informed  Visit nsc.edu for campus news and program information.

be social  cid:image001.jpg@01D3938B.2DBEE9E0 cid:image002.jpg@01D3938B.2DBEE9E0 cid:image003.jpg@01D3938B.2DBEE9E0

cid:image008.png@01D40FC2.9C9CA290

You are subscribed to the SINET list as Rikki...@NSC.EDU.

Problems or questions should be directed to man...@listserv.umkc.edu.

ATTENTION: This email originated from outside of Nevada State College. Please be cautious of clicking on links or opening attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.