Re: [Shunit2-users] Bug in failSame, failNotSame and failNotEqual functions in shUnit2

Kate Ward

Aug 30, 2008, 12:28:34 PM8/30/08
to Mario Sanchez Prada, shunit...@lists.sourceforge.net, shunit...@googlegroups.com
[+cc shunit...@googlegroups.com]

Hi Mario,

Honestly, you're the first to say much about it. I agree that it feels broke, and I've wondered exactly how to fix it.

I modeled shUnit2 as close to JUnit 3.8.2 as I could. Looking at the code for failNotEquals() in JUnit, I see:

static public void failNotEquals(String message,
                                 Object expected,
                                 Object
actual) {
  fail(format(message, expected, actual));
}

Looking at the code for fail(), I see:

static public void fail(String message) {
  throw new AssertionFailedError(message);
}

And format():

static String format(String message,
                     Object expected,
                     Object actual) {

  String formatted= "";
  if (message != null)
    formatted= message+" ";
  return formatted+"expected:<"+expected+"> but was:<"+actual+">";
}

So, basically, it does absolutely nothing. Now, I don't disagree that this is the wrong approach, but I just haven't taken the time to really look into this.

Looking at the patch you sent as part of the bug, it looks like a start to fixing the problem, but the unit tests fail with that patch. I'll update the bug at Google asking that you submit a new patch that fixes the unit tests as well.

- kate

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Mario Sanchez Prada <msan...@igalia.com> wrote:
Hi all,

First of all, congratulations for your work on shUnit2. I was really
impressed on how easy was to use it and how clean a testing suite is
thanks to your awesome script. I really like it a lot, sincerely, I was
looking for something like this all over the internet and it is exactly
what I needed, so thank you a lot :-)

So, as I'm really happy, here you are my first contribution:

As you could check out in the bugzilla...
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2062264&group_id=188001&atid=923569

...I submitted today what I think it's a bug in the shUnit2 script, both
in its 2.0 and 2.1 versions.

The bug is about failNotEqual, failSame and failNotSame functions being
probably wrong, since they always result on failures, regardless of the
parameters used being the the same or not.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something (documentation is a bit confuse
as well about some of those three functions) so don't hesitate to
correct me if you think so. Nevertheless, according to how I think those
functions should work I attached a patch in the bugzilla with the fixes
I implemented in my local copy, which I'm using right now and seem to be
working right. Feel free to take a look into it and give me your
opinions).

I'm also attaching a dummy test file I used to test the framework
provided by shUnit2, so you can check the bug out as well, in case you
wish to do it so.

Hope it helps,

Br,

Mario