Senior Software Engineer (Ruby) in Sheffield (Permanent, 3 to 4 days per week)

Andy Mayer

Jun 20, 2015, 9:26:18 AM6/20/15
to shrug-...@googlegroups.com
Use your developer skills to make the world a better place!

Yoomee is an innovative, fast-paced agency that builds digital platforms and products for social change. Our solutions are used to make the world a better place – whether it’s helping people with mental health issues, saving the lives of Mexican migrants, connecting artists in war-zones, finding solutions to crowded cities or helping young people run their own community improvement projects.

Since 2010 we’ve been designing and developing online community platforms and apps for social good. We work with charities, social enterprises, local government and academic clients across the world – to connect people together around a common cause, inspire and motivate and ultimately persuade them to do something positive that will improve their lives.

We’re looking for a Senior Ruby developer to join our talented development team (currently six developers supported by designers and producers) and to continue building the amazing web applications and services that help to deliver social positive impact.

What are we looking for:
  • Strong experience in Ruby, building bespoke, high scale or complex web applications
  • Have worked in, or demonstrated an interest and desire to work in an Agile environment.
  • Work consistently with automated testing TDD and/or BDD
  • Passionate about technology and excellent engineering practices
  • Experience in the following would be desired: Javascript, Ember, Backbone, Node, Sinatra, Grails.
  • An agency background would also be beneficial.
The ideal candidate should have prior experience with XP principles such as pair programming, CI, and TDD, as well as in designing and developing web sites using technologies like JavaScript, Ruby, or Java. Experience of CSS, HTML, AngularJS, Ember, Node or Cuccumber are also a distinct advantage

Culture

Our staff are the centre of our universe – we provide the best tools and a supportive culture to help you craft amazing products to make the world a better place. To this end, the whole company is optimised for your happiness so you can do a great job. Here’s a taste of some of our benefits:
  • Designer Aeron chair and large, light and airy air-conditioned workspace
  • Apple Mac Book Pro Retina
  • Office table tennis table
  • Free selection of beer and snacks in the office
  • Regular meals and drinks out together
  • Flexible working hours and home working available
  • 25 days paid annual holiday plus bank holidays
  • Secure cycle parking and shower facilities
  • Company pension scheme
  • 20% of your time working on your own innovation projects
  • Time off to attend conferences, user groups, and community coding projects
  • Most importantly, be proud to work on projects that matter have a positive impact
Our development culture is based around choosing the best tools that support our Lean and Agile approach. As part of our focus on innovation, we'll allocate 20% of your time to learn new skills, try out new dev processes, work on open source projects and share knowledge with the rest of the team. This will give you the opportunity to constantly learn and research new technologies to help to make our development team the best it can be.

Minimum requirements

This could be your second job, or you might have more experience behind you – either way, your attitude is more important than your work history. But please don't apply unless you have these minimum requirements:
  • A minimum of 3 years’ professional development experience using a Ruby on Rails in a production environment
  • You must have the right to work in the UK
Job location and hours

You'll be based in Sheffield. We’ll consider full-time, part-time or flexible working arrangements (including job share arrangements). We welcome people wanting to work a 4-day week and/or occasionally work remotely.

Salary

£30-45K FTE, based on your experience.

How to apply

Deadline: 30 June 2015