open discussion

dai

May 11, 2010, 4:53:29 PM5/11/10
to ShowMeDo
I've said it before and I'll say it again I think you guy's need
something like miro supporting you. They generate a lot of traffic a
lot which will rub off on showmedo. You have a great site as far as
content goes. plenty here for people to see and learn I thenk you just
need to affliate with something like miro be apart of there search
engine as you have more indepth tutorials then google or youtube even
though they have a lot more content.

Kyran Dale

May 12, 2010, 2:27:51 AM5/12/10
to show...@googlegroups.com
hi Dai,

Miro does look v. good. I'm just about to pretty much relaunch
Showmedo's site, having comprehensively rewritten a good chunk of the
code-base. It should free up some time, and as ever time is the
deal-breaker. Even integrating with Miro costs man hours and there
aren't many to spare. But things should be cleaner, leaner and a deal
more adaptable.

I'll be canvassing feedback such as this from the authors and trying
to prioritize future changes. Things are certainly sub-optimal at the
mo'.

cheers and thanks as ever for the suggestions,
Kyran

Gary Frederick

May 12, 2010, 6:11:25 AM5/12/10
to show...@googlegroups.com
Howdy

I'm interested in open discussion.

Things like the plan if Google's VP8 codec becomes popular.
  I'm wondering if Google will have something to say at the Google I/O conference?

Or how to migrate to HTML5.
  should Showmedo use HTML5
  Ian's comment

Or hearing more specifics why miro would be important.
  I watched the intro video and it looks good.
  I watched the intro video in ogg and look forward to watching on an HTML5 page with the VP8 codec in mozilla/ opera/ chrome and any other current browser that supports emerging standards ( ;-) )

AND the ever so important

How does Showmedo get more people helping make man power issues less critical?

Gary

Kyran Dale

May 13, 2010, 2:21:39 PM5/13/10
to show...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary,

I've been following and tweeting fairly regularly about
http://twitter.com/ShowMeDo the ongoing video codec wars. VP8
open-sourcing would be great, but there's still a lot of vested
interest in the very proprietary h.264 (Microsoft and Apple are
partners in the consortium).

But I would love to remove Flash dependency from the site and HTML5,
which I intend to embrace wholeheartedly, is looking better and better
for that. Coming on leaps and bounds.

As to miro, manpower and the like. I think a big step will be the
relaunch/renewal coming soon. I've removed a lot of the cruft that
attends naive startups and newbie webdevs. Not perfect but the new
site is much cleaner and more adaptable. That should make it easier
for others to help out. I also have to build up the club, looking for
an employee or two down the road. Case of watch this space, but
Showmedo should be using some of that community good-will to grow and
adapt.

cheers and wholehearted approval of an open discussions and feedback,

Kyran

dai

May 14, 2010, 3:58:21 AM5/14/10
to ShowMeDo
look forward to the new look site. Is Ian still part of showmedo or is
it a one man band these days.

On May 13, 7:21 pm, Kyran Dale <kyran.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> I've been following and tweeting fairly regularly abouthttp://twitter.com/ShowMeDothe ongoing video codec wars. VP8
> open-sourcing would be great, but there's still a lot of vested
> interest in the very proprietary h.264 (Microsoft and Apple are
> partners in the consortium).
>
> But I would love to remove Flash dependency from the site and HTML5,
> which I intend to embrace wholeheartedly, is looking better and better
> for that. Coming on leaps and bounds.
>
> As to miro, manpower and the like. I think a big step will be the
> relaunch/renewal coming soon. I've removed a lot of the cruft that
> attends naive startups and newbie webdevs. Not perfect but the new
> site is much cleaner and more adaptable. That should make it easier
> for others to help out. I also have to build up the club, looking for
> an employee or two down the road. Case of watch this space, but
> Showmedo should be using some of that community good-will to grow and
> adapt.
>
> cheers and wholehearted approval of an open discussions and feedback,
>
> Kyran

Kyran Dale

May 14, 2010, 4:02:41 AM5/14/10
to show...@googlegroups.com
On 14 May 2010 09:58, dai <dai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> look forward to the new look site. Is Ian still part of showmedo or is
> it a one man band these days.

Is a one man band, with ambitions to become a string quartet.

Gasto

May 14, 2010, 7:35:18 PM5/14/10
to ShowMeDo
Hi Gary good to see you hear, hope to watch some of your tutorials
here on ShowMeDo.

My opinion is that HTML5 video tag should expand as soon as possible
on the web. Youtube already did it on beta I participated and most
videos work with the video tag on HTML5. Flash is great but its
proprietary. I hope HTML5 and its new implementations remain Open
Source.

Man power is always wanted here in ShowMeDo. Kyran alone deals with
the web development hassle. The best way to contribute is actually
getting more content inside ShowMeDo, and perhaps some publicity.