Problem installing shoutbox

Dipps

Apr 24, 2005, 10:30:04 PM4/24/05
to shou...@googlegroups.com
I guess this is the place to ask, since the mojavelinux forums are
gone.

I've been trying to setup shoutchat, with no real success. The shoutbox
displays, but when I put in a message, I get lots of PHP errors. I can
see messages going into the database, so I think that part is OK, and
I've been through the install file with a fine tooth comb, but still no
dice.

I wondered if it might be browser specific, but I get the same result
on recent versions of safari, omniweb and firefox that I do on mozilla
0.9.9 on my old laptop.

Debugging PHP isn't my strong point... while I haven't finished trying,
I could use some help here.

Just looking at the first line... Line 60 produces 2 errors:

60: $messageText = htmlspecialchars($message['message']);

Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 0 in
/home/shoutbox/public_html/shoutbox.php on line 60

Notice: Undefined index: message in
/home/shoutbox/public_html/shoutbox.php on line 60

67: if ($message['bol_format']) {

Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 0 in
/home/shoutbox/public_html/shoutbox.php on line 67

Notice: Undefined index: bol_format in
/home/shoutbox/public_html/shoutbox.php on line 67

There are more errors, and I haven't run out of ideas yet. Will update
this if I get anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Razan Mohamed

Apr 26, 2005, 1:22:54 AM4/26/05
to shou...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I could not find exactly what is the error. I have passed this problem
to one of my friends. I ll send you the answer soon. If you can mail
the entire page. Because in PHP a systex error will cause lots of
errors in the following lines.

If you get the answer pls inform me.

Razan Mohamed

Dan Allen

Apr 27, 2005, 1:50:32 AM4/27/05
to shou...@googlegroups.com
> I guess this is the place to ask, since the mojavelinux forums are
> gone.

This is indeed the place! I decided to go with Google groups so that
I don't have to waste time maintaining my forums from hackers and
spammers and concentrate just on the scripts. Besides, the interface
is much better designed for searching, so it should become a better
resource for those learning to use the script.

> I've been trying to setup shoutchat, with no real success. The shoutbox
> displays, but when I put in a message, I get lots of PHP errors. I can
> see messages going into the database, so I think that part is OK, and
> I've been through the install file with a fine tooth comb, but still no
> dice.

Try to go over the new download with a fine tooth comb as I just
updated to version 0.1.8. Likely these errors you are encountering
had to do with some problems in the last package. It will be best to
wipe your database tables by rerunning the installer script. I just
tried out this download and got it running in a matter of minutes on a
new server, so you should have no trouble.

I have also brought the demo back online, so if you need to test it
out on mojavelinux.com, you can do so by following the link to the
demo.

Dan
--
http://www.mojavelinux.com
Open Source Advocacy

Dipps

Apr 27, 2005, 8:45:34 AM4/27/05
to shou...@googlegroups.com
Dan, I just installed 0.18 and it worked "out of the box". Thank you!!
I'll test it a bit more later, but initially it looks great. I love how
simple this is to use.

My wife's browser (recent Safari) didn't show the background images for
"screen name", "message" and "send", but the "look" is easily changed.

One thing - the INSTALL file needs an update since last version. I'll
edit it and email to you separately.

Again - thanks a million!

Dan Allen

Apr 27, 2005, 9:47:45 AM4/27/05
to shou...@googlegroups.com
> My wife's browser (recent Safari) didn't show the background images for
> "screen name", "message" and "send", but the "look" is easily changed.

Yeah, the default styles are a bit crap. I was burning the midnight
oil a bit to late one night and came up with this strange interface.
If you have a better design, or if you just want to point me to
something that looks nice I think I will rework it to look better.

> One thing - the INSTALL file needs an update since last version. I'll
> edit it and email to you separately.

That would be brilliant. It would be helpful to get another opinion
on how the INSTALL file should explain the setup. Send it on over!

/dan

--
Open Source Advocacy
http://www.mojavelinux.com