Re: New Apple ipod nano

Jake

Jan 24, 2008, 5:06:52 PM1/24/08
we follow the majority? Is it because they have more reason? No,
because they have more power.

Why do we follow the ancient laws and opinions? Is it because they are more
sound? No, but because they are unique and remove from us the root of
difference.

302. ... It is the effect of might, not of custom. For those who are capable
of originality are few; the greater number will only follow and refuse glory
to those inventors who seek it by their inventions. And if these are
obstinate in their wish to obtain glory and despise those who do not invent,
the latter will call them ridiculous names and will beat them with a stick.
Let no one, then, boast of his subtlety, or let him keep his complacency to
himself.

303. Might is the sovereign of the world, and not opinion. But opinion makes
use of might. It is might that makes opinion. Gentleness is beautiful in our
opinion. Why? Because he who will dance on a rope will be alone, and I win
gather a stronger mob of people who will say that it is unbecoming.

304. The cords which bind the respect of men to each other are in general
cords of necessity; for there must be different degrees, all men wishing to