Decease of Nicolas Wiel

Fabien Osmont

Feb 29, 2024, 9:44:21 AMFeb 29
to SHOGI-L
Dear Shogi friends,

We regret to announce the death of Nicolas Wiel.
Nicolas has been a shogi player very active in promoting this game in
France and in Europe.
Since some of you may have had relationship with him, we considered
appropriate to inform the shogi community about this sad news.

As chairman of the Paris Shogi Association, Nicolas has particularly
been involved in the setup of International Shogi Forum at
Rueil-Malmaison in 2011. Nicolas has also been member of the French
Federation board during many years and even chaired it in 2012.

His contribution to shogi promotion were numerous and always beyond any
personal benefit. I would particularly raised the gathering of tsume
shogi problems in a book, today out of stock, and the setup of the
website "shogimaze" that was recently mentioned on this mailing list.

Focusing to newcomers, Nicolas put also in place a tournament pairing
concept, named "system Wiel", that has the goal to motivate "stronger"
players to accept to play rated handicap games. In the same spirit, he
moved forward the ELO system calculation to make it more generous to
players joining their first tournaments.

For all these contributions, but before all because of his real
kindness, French Federation of Shogi and myself wanted to pay tribute to
this strong shogi supporter who has left us too early.

Our thoughts go to his family and relatives.

Fabien Osmont, French Federation of Shogi chairman

--
Fédération Française de Shogi

A2life

Mar 2, 2024, 1:32:11 PMMar 2
to SHOGI-L

So sad to hear the news.
He granted and helped me do the re-imaging of Shogimaze in my site.

My deepest sympathies. I pray that he rests in peace.