Ying Ying Shogi?

Daniel Toebbens

Feb 2, 2021, 10:09:56 AM2/2/21
to Mailgroup Shogi-L
Somebody is selling a game called Ying Ying Shogi at ebay. The price is high and the only information available is the photo of the box linked below. It seems to be a wartime game from the 40ties. But without a look at the contents I cannot even say whether it has anything to do with real shogi at all. The Internet is also not helpful. Does anybody here know more?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jH4AAOSwmOpgAHOx/s-l500.jpg

Lukas Vyletel

Feb 2, 2021, 10:19:09 AM2/2/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hello Daniel,

It seems to be a wargame board game and has little to do with shogi. The game seems to require not only the two players, but also some sort of neutral third party referee. The idea seems to be, that players can put their pieces into positions unknown to the opponent.

I guess the main thing it has common with shogi is the shape of pieces, but other than that it seems quite unrelated.

Kind regards,
Lukas Vyletel

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 4:09 PM Daniel Toebbens <Daniel....@gmx.de> wrote:
Somebody is selling a game called Ying Ying Shogi at ebay. The price is high and the only information available is the photo of the box linked below. It seems to be a wartime game from the 40ties. But without a look at the contents I cannot even say whether it has anything to do with real shogi at all. The Internet is also not helpful. Does anybody here know more?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jH4AAOSwmOpgAHOx/s-l500.jpg

Shigeru trentasis

Feb 2, 2021, 5:15:44 PM2/2/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hi buddies!
long not being here.
Yes, it is also called "Gunkan Shougi" and is dated quite old, ...

In fact, it was the game than inspired "Stratego".
 it is familiar to some one!? (So, am I pretty sure it is... )

Cheers.

Missatge de Lukas Vyletel <vyl...@gmail.com> del dia dt., 2 de febr. 2021 a les 15:19:

Daniel Toebbens

Feb 3, 2021, 3:16:44 AM2/3/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to both of you, this was very helpful.

For one thing, the price at Amazon is less then a 10th of what was asked by the ebay seller. This might be justified if one was a genuine article from old times and the other a modern reproduction. But my guess it that it was just preying on the uninformed.

The Amazon page has a link to a modern edition called "Hanayama Portable Large Military Shogi". There one can clearly see the principle of the game: The reverse side of all koma is blank, and this blank side is faced up in the initial setup. It is indeed very similar to Stratego (Which I played a few times. But we preferred Chess or Risk.) But in Stratego you at least see your own pieces. In this original version you have to remember how you set them up.

Thanks again,
Daniel
Gesendet: Dienstag, 02. Februar 2021 um 23:15 Uhr
Von: "Shigeru trentasis" <shig...@gmail.com>
An: sho...@googlegroups.com
Betreff: Re: Ying Ying Shogi?

captbirdseye

Feb 23, 2021, 5:50:26 AM2/23/21
to SHOGI-L
I have a similar 'war' game, but it is based on air, rather than land forces. I don't think it/they have much, if anything to do with Shogi.