Translation Help

matthew....@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2023, 11:56:58 AM3/14/23
to SHOGI-L
I'm working on translating a Shogi article from NHK and have a question about reading a phrase. Hoping someone on the list can help.

When mentioning Sōta Fujii, the article appends 五冠 to his name. I'm confident about the meaning -- that he holds five of the major titles -- but I'm not sure how to pronounce it: gokan, gokanmuri, something entirely different?

On a related note, if any of you also have mediocre Japanese skills and would like to group together and use Shogi material for practice, please contact me directly and we can discuss setting up a study group or something. In addition to random articles from the web, one of these days, I plan on tackling Yoshiharu Habu's Kodomo Tsumeshogi Nyumon under the (probably mistaken) notion that since it's targeted at kids, I _might_ be able to read it :)

Regards,

Matt

Lukas Vyletel

Mar 14, 2023, 12:06:58 PM3/14/23
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew, I have found this link:
https://ja.hinative.com/questions/12491734

It suggests the reading 'gokan'.

Recently for these things I also like to use Chat GPT, which can be an invaluable resource for studying Japanese. Should you find yourself unable to read some book, you can use the capabilities of apps like Google Translate to scan the text from an image, put that text into Chat GPT and ask it about how it is read and what it means. It performs very well with Japanese, much better than Google Translate. I myself am reading some books on the topic of shogi and if I'm unable to understand something, it can not only translate the sentence, but explain the grammar points etc.

It's also helpful for writing some text in Japanese, it can correct your errors.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Lukas Vyletel

Lukas Vyletel

Mar 14, 2023, 12:17:13 PM3/14/23
to sho...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for the spam again, but I forgot to include this in the previous email.

For those who are looking to use books on shogi as learning resource for studying Japanese, I'd like to recommend the book The Miracle of Crybaby Shotan, or 泣き虫しょったんの奇跡 in Japanese.

It's a book about personal story of Shouji Segawa, the professional shogi player who was the first to become a professional shogi player outside of the traditional Shoreikai means through the Hennyuu shiken 編入試験.

I'm recommending the book because the Japanese there is quite easy to understand, many Kanjis have furigana above them and it's certainly an interesting read overall. I also think it's much better for studying Japanese as compared to tsume shogi books which do not necessarily use useful every-day life sentences. Many of the sentences in tsume shogi books etc are just listing out the moves to be played after all.

Kind regards,
Lukas Vyletel

Tomohide Kawasaki

Mar 18, 2023, 7:35:27 PM3/18/23
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hi

For your information,
nikan にかん
sankan さんかん
yonkan よんかん
* gokan ごかん
rokkan ろっかん
nanakan ななかん (generally) or shichikan しちかん (officially...?)
hachikan はちかん
kyukan きゅうかん
jukkan じゅっかん

Regards,