General game playing engine with Shogi variants included.

captbirdseye

May 22, 2021, 1:30:12 AM5/22/21
to SHOGI-L
I'm cross-posting this announcement (by another user) from the Board Games Geek Shogi forum.
-----
Stephen Tavener's program Ai Ai is a Java-based general game playing engine. Recently a lot of Shogi variants were added to Ai Ai. There is also online play available.

-----
I haven't tried to install/use it yet, but it looks rather interesting?

DARREN PAULL

Jun 6, 2021, 1:02:59 AM6/6/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
 Thanks captbirdseye,

That does sound interesting !

Jun 7, 2021, 11:22:31 AM6/7/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
I have tried it out a bit, and although I have no doubt that this will become great software, it still seems to be in a somewhat embrionic state at the moment. At least as far as the AI is concerned; I haven't tried the on-line capabilities.

For Chu Shogi at least the interactive diagram in the article at chessvariants.com played significantly stronger. (Although still like an idiot by human standards. But I only tried it with sub-second thinking (against 30 sec for Ai Ai).) I never tried to play the larger Shogi variants against the diagram (which cannot do games with piece drops yet).

For those interested in a moderate-strength computer opponent in Tenjiku Shogi: there now is a Jocly implementation for that, at http://hgm.nubati.net/jocly/ . Jocly also plays mini-Shogi, Tori Shogi, Chu Shogi and regular Shogi there.

captbirdseye

Jun 9, 2021, 12:44:02 AM6/9/21
to SHOGI-L
> On Monday, 7 June 2021 at 16:22:31 UTC+1 H.G.Muller wrote:
> I have tried it out a bit, and although I have no doubt that this will become great software.

Thanks very much for that report. I don't have much time at the moment to investigate this (not sure I
have the computing expertise to implement the system either!).