Paper on shogi history

frank...@aol.com

Nov 16, 2021, 3:28:21 PM11/16/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

in 2021 Masukawa Kouichi, the most prolific Japanese researcher on shogi and other games passed away at the age of 91. Mr. Masukawa had virtually devoted a lifetime on this research and published more than 30 books and numerous articles.
To commemorate him I have compiled a paper on the history of shogi, which can be downloaded here:

Kind regards
Frank Roevekamp

Buglyó Gergely

Nov 16, 2021, 4:30:49 PM11/16/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Dear Frank,

I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Masukawa's passing away, but I'd like to congratulate you on your very interesting and comprehensive paper on shogi history. In Western publications, it is often taken for granted that the drop rule in shogi originated in the Sengoku era, a popular theory despite no real evidence backing it up. Yours is the first Western paper I've read that touches upon the speculation and controversy surrounding the origin of the drop rule, and you even cite Kimura's "Nihon bunka toshite no shougi" (which reports a shogi set designed with the drop rule in mind, dating back as early as 1058). Thank you for a very educational and captivating read.

Best regards:

Gergely

Feladó: frankroeve via SHOGI-L <sho...@googlegroups.com>
Elküldve: 2021. november 16., kedd 21:28
Címzett: sho...@googlegroups.com <sho...@googlegroups.com>
Tárgy: Paper on shogi history

captbirdseye

Nov 17, 2021, 4:52:53 AM11/17/21
to SHOGI-L
Interesting. Thank you.

I note that the title page includes the text OAI Working Paper 02/2021. Does this meant that this is a draft which will be expanded?

RJH

frank...@aol.com

Nov 17, 2021, 4:51:38 PM11/17/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.
OAI Working Paper 02/2021 simply means that it is the second working paper of the East Asia Institute (OAI) this year. The other is not related to shogi and next also certainly not. I hope I will find the time to expand on the topic some time in the future.

Frank

captbirdseye

Nov 18, 2021, 12:55:00 AM11/18/21
to SHOGI-L
>  OAI Working Paper 02/2021 simply means that it is the second working paper of the East Asia Institute (OAI) this year...
 Underdstood. Thank you.

RJH