George Marino

Angela

Jul 26, 2023, 9:14:50 PM7/26/23
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Longtime Chicago area shogi friends may remember George Marino. He passed away earlier this month from a stroke at 81. He was an avid board gamer and bridge player. He ran several high school chess clubs over the years, and nearly every time, he would have a shogi intro teaching and tournament for interested students. We made trips to Ohio and Washington DC to participate in tournaments, along with events hosted around Chicago. A very friendly, outgoing and gentle man who will be deeply missed by those who knew him.

Angela Salvaggione

Sent from my iPad

Koji Nozawa

Jul 27, 2023, 6:27:05 AM7/27/23
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Angela,

I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing. He was one of the founding members of Chicago Shogi club and always participated in shogi events in Chicago. As you mentioned, he consistently set up a shogi corner at the Chicago suburban high school chess tournament and I joined it several times to teach shogi to the high school students. He often brought some gifts from Japan for them. He was always gentle and friendly, a true shogi enthusiast. May he rest in peace.

Koji Nozawa