Koma dai placement

bali...@yahoo.com

Jan 18, 2021, 9:56:15 PM1/18/21
to SHOGI-L
I was wondering if it's a general practice or point of etiquette to place the koma dai with the grain going a certain direction.  Should the grain go with the grain of the shogi board?  Or against it?  Or maybe nobody ever cares?  Or maybe some players have superstitions about the placement either way?

Eric Kuniholm

Jan 18, 2021, 10:18:05 PM1/18/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
I've always seen it placed going with the grain of the board. You can verify this for yourself by looking at shogi matches on YouTube. Some koma dai, like the boards themselves, have a slight rectangularity, where the grain goes with the long axis, and are clearly assumed to have their grain in the same direction of the board. I've always assumed the choice was for aesthetic rather than superstitious considerations.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 6:56 PM 'bali...@yahoo.com' via SHOGI-L <sho...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I was wondering if it's a general practice or point of etiquette to place the koma dai with the grain going a certain direction.  Should the grain go with the grain of the shogi board?  Or against it?  Or maybe nobody ever cares?  Or maybe some players have superstitions about the placement either way?

Karolina Styczyńska

Jan 20, 2021, 9:55:16 PM1/20/21
to SHOGI-L
I heard it should go with shogi board and do not point toward closer player. (in case they have arrow-like shape)