French Shogi books...

captbirdseye

Jan 24, 2022, 12:50:38 AM1/24/22
to SHOGI-L
I know about one book in French:

L'art des échecs japonais, Fabien Osmont, Fédération Française de Shogi/Praxeo, 2009. ISBN-10‎ 2952047251
ISBN-13 978-2952047258

I believe that M. Osmont has published at least one other Shogi book in French (though I do not know the details).

I know that M. Osmont occasionally posts here.

Are the books still available? Are they available in an English translation?

Thank you.

RJH

[Shogi] Fabien Osmont

Jan 24, 2022, 9:38:10 AM1/24/22
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reijer,

Forget "M.Osmont". Fabien is perfectly fine since we met in Weilburg
many many years ago, when you still were chairman of FESA. :-)

I indeed published another book before the one you mention. The name is
"shikenbisha". It is a translation in french of Alexander Engelhardt
book "shikenbisha" with a small introduction about rules of shogi and
about the 4th file rook opening.
It is actually a collection of articles previously published in japanese
in the monthly magazine Shogi Sekai.
https://www.konjaku.fr/catalogue/shogi/livre-shogi-shikenbisha-ffs-fabien-osmont.html

The one you mention is actually a collective work involving not only me
but also Eric Cheymol, Frédéric Pottier (RIP), Florent Gorges, Erwan Le
Pelleter, and Stéphane Aymonier. First edition is sold out but a second
edition has been published.
https://www.konjaku.fr/catalogue/shogi/shogi-l-art-des-echecs-japonais.html
No translation is expected.

Both are indeed still available.

Kind regards

Fabien

------------------------
Fédération Française de Shogi
http://www.shogi.fr
Association Shogi d'Alsace
http://shogialsace.wordpress.com
fab...@shogi.fr
+33 677 849 449

On 24/01/2022 06:50, 'captbirdseye' via SHOGI-L wrote:
> I know about one book in French:
>
> /L'art des échecs japonais/, Fabien Osmont, Fédération Française de
> Shogi/Praxeo, 2009. ISBN-10‎ 2952047251
> ISBN-13 978-2952047258
>
> I believe that M. Osmont has published at least one other Shogi book
> in French (though I do not know the details).
>
> I know that M. Osmont occasionally posts here.
>
> Are the books still available? Are they available in an English
> translation?
>
> Thank you.
>
> RJH
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/shogi-l/e84c5cd6-1738-49f9-a07f-401f287a6b2en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/shogi-l/e84c5cd6-1738-49f9-a07f-401f287a6b2en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

captbirdseye

Jan 24, 2022, 5:40:02 PM1/24/22
to SHOGI-L
Fabien, thank you very much for your reply.

I'm not Reijer Grimbergen I'm Roger Hare (the well-known charlatan - 😎) and we've never met.
Never mind! Thank you for the information about your books - I hadn't realised that Eric Cheymol,
et. al. were also involved in the second book.

I'm trying to compile a short list of Shogi books in 'Western' languages other than English. So far
I've got books in French, German and Esperanto...

Pity there's no English translations.

Thanks again!

Roger Hare

[Shogi] Fabien Osmont

Jan 25, 2022, 9:37:37 AM1/25/22
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger, the famous crook ;-),

Sorry for mixing up the names. RJH and RG are clearly not the same.
Gomenasai. :-)

In french there has been as well a small tsume book published by Nicolas
Wiel, named : "Problèmes de Mat des échecs japonais".
Since it has been published through the Amazon printing system, you may
still get it here although no print version is available anymore (so
far) : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/1479174165/

Kind regards

Fabien

------------------------

On 24/01/2022 23:40, 'captbirdseye' via SHOGI-L wrote:
> Fabien, thank you very much for your reply.
>
> I'm not Reijer Grimbergen I'm Roger Hare (the well-known charlatan -
> 😎) and we've never met.
> Never mind! Thank you for the information about your books - I hadn't
> realised that Eric Cheymol,
> /et. al./ were also involved in the second book.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/shogi-l/e84c5cd6-1738-49f9-a07f-401f287a6b2en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/shogi-l/b7ce4f7f-2178-4739-adec-e5b75d6e62a9n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/shogi-l/b7ce4f7f-2178-4739-adec-e5b75d6e62a9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

captbirdseye

Jan 26, 2022, 1:21:14 AM1/26/22
to SHOGI-L
>  In french there has been as well a small tsume book published by Nicolas
> Wiel, named : "Problèmes de Mat des échecs japonais".

Thank you very much! That one had escaped me!

Roger