Introduction of Shogi Malaysia

shogi malaysia

Apr 10, 2023, 2:43:17 AM4/10/23
to SHOGI-L
Hello Shogi fans,

Thank you for accepting my application to the mailing list!
I'm Jien and current leader of Shogi Malaysia! Nice to meet you all.

Shogi Malaysia started in 2017 by my senior Mr. Ng Teck Sen (some of you may know him), he has burning passion for all types of mind sports like chess, xiangqi and one day he found out about Shogi and everything started from there. Unfortunately, after few years of Shogi promotion, he had to put it down due to his work life.

I started my Shogi journey from 2018 and received the baton from Mr. Ng in 2021, and I have been promoting Shogi ever since. Currently we have a Shogi Malaysia Discord server and social presence in Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and YouTube

Our past events were:
- Live teaching in ACG events (anime, comics, gaming).
- Shogi Workshops for Japanese Culture Clubs in our local universities.
- Monthly IRL Shogi Meetups for our members to meet and socialize and play Shogi.

Our future events:
- Shogi Classes for school kids, I will be collaborating with a local chess academy in starting a Shogi class.

I'm also looking to expand the team and looking for like-minded people to do Shogi Promotion in the near future. If you are a Malaysian, please contact me for discussion!

Once again, thank you for letting me share Shogi news here, I hope we can work together to bring Shogi further to the next level.

Warmest regards,
Jien
Shogi Malaysia

Maurizio De Leo

Apr 12, 2023, 2:10:54 AM4/12/23
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
I'm not Malaysian, but live in Singapore.
Where is the centre of activities for Shogi in Malaysia ?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Pieter Stouten

Apr 15, 2023, 6:18:40 AM4/15/23
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hello Shogi fans,

Apparently, there was an issue with the redistribution of the message below, so I send it again on behalf of Jien. Hope this time it shows up everywhere where it should show up.

All the best,

Pieter Stouten
Owner SHOGI-L

On 12 Apr 2023, at 17:00, shogi malaysia <shogi.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Megamau,

Our Shogi activities are focused in Selangor for the time being because we have the most members here. Our IRL Shogi Meetups are held in SS15 Subang Jaya.

You can also play Shogi in Singapore, there's a Japanese Association in Adam Road that organizes monthly meetups.
According to my friend who plays there, they meet on every last Saturday of the month, 2pm SGT , they will announce if a certain meetup is canceled on their Facebook page .

Regards,
Jien

Leung Kaiwan

Apr 15, 2023, 11:16:08 PM4/15/23
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here is Jack, the Hongkonger who played shogi during the WOSC in Europe before.  I am now living in Singapore and play shogi here regularly.  I also played in the Asian Shogi Club Championship in KL a few years ago.

Let me describe a bit about the shogi community here.  A shogi meeting is held on the last Saturday each month.  The venue is in the Japan Association on Adam Road.  The children's session is at 2-4pm and adult's session is at 2-7pm.  Interested parties may come to play shogi at 2pm, perhaps play with kids, and it may be a bit noise.  Some players may arrive at around 4pm for more quiet and serious plays.

Shogi players in Singapore are mainly Japanese expatriates but there are some native Singaporean players -- one of which is far stronger than me.  There is also another shogi player from Europe.

The next session will be held on Sat 29 Apr.  Please feel free to let me know if anyone is interested in playing shogi in Singapore.

Regards,
Jack