Excluding Entries and Subentries in MDF

toolbox

Nov 25, 2023, 9:17:37 AM11/25/23
to Shoebox/Toolbox Field Linguist's Toolbox
Someone just asked me if there is a way to exclude some whole entries and some subentries in MDF. He thought there was such a way and it sounds vaguely familiar to me also.

But I couldn't find it. Does anyone remember how to do such a thing?

If not, I've offered to make him a CC table lead-in to the MDF export. It sounds useful and I'll post it here, too, if I make it.

Karen
Toolbox Support

Alex Francois

Nov 25, 2023, 10:19:41 AM11/25/23
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
hi Karen,

I guess I would use the filtering option.
For this, you first need to create a filter describing the entries to be retained.

In some cases, the filter can do its job based on the current version of the entries.  For example, imagine I want to export a dictionary only of those entries which have examples (excluding those which don't),  then I can set up a filter to only retain entries "with-examples":

image.png

Then when I export to MDF, I would:
  1. select the right export process,
  2. hit "Modify";
  3. then use the Filter records option:

image.png
_________

Finally, in case the criterion for filtering cannot be inferred algorithmically by a simple rule (e.g. "presence of examples", "absence of phonetic transcription"...) then the solution is to add a new field and encode it for each entry, e.g. \export YES or \export NO  (depending on which rule is more economical in terms of work).

→→→ then your filter could either
  • include all entries for which \export has a "YES",   or
  • include all entries for which \export does not have a "NO"
And then, once you have a filter that satisfies you, you can export your dictionary using the "Filter records" option.

best
Alex

Alex François

LaTTiCe — CNRS–ENSPSLSorbonne nouvelle
Australian National University

ToolBox SIL

Nov 25, 2023, 12:17:30 PM11/25/23
to shoeboxtoolbox-fiel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Alex,

That's a great solution for excluding whole records! However, sometimes the user wants to exclude only certain subentries. Filters can't do that.

Thank you for describing the Filter solution so well.

Karen