Connection rstudio.cloud to shinyapps.io

StatPrep Annie

Jun 4, 2018, 4:00:55 PM6/4/18
to shinyapps.io Users
I have both an rstudio.cloud account and a shinyapps.io account. I want to authorize my rstudio.cloud account to publish to my shinyapps.io account. I have been following the instructions in https://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/shinyapps.html (under rsconnect) involving both running rsconnect::setAccountInfo() and also setting the publish global preferences. Whatever way I do it, I am eventually confronted with a dialog box asking me for the "public URL of the rstudio.connect server."

I've tried the usual suspects for the "public URL," e.g. "shinyapps.io:3939" or "StatPrep-Annie.shinyapps.io:3939" but nothing works. The dialog box directs me to contact the system administrator for shinyapps.io to get the public URL, but I don't know who that is.

So ... what is the public URL for shinyapps.io? Or is there another way I'm supposed to do things?

Joshua Spiewak

Jun 4, 2018, 4:08:56 PM6/4/18
to shinyapps.io Users
You should be able to copy the token from the shinyapps.io dashboard and paste into the console in rstudio.cloud:

What version of rsconnect are you using? I was able to do this in a new project, just now, with 0.8.8.

StatPrep Annie

Jun 4, 2018, 4:36:29 PM6/4/18
to Joshua Spiewak, shinyapps.io Users
I did exactly what you're suggesting, with version 0.8.8 of rsconnect installed from CRAN just today.
Doing it again:

Restarting R session...
> rsconnect::setAccountInfo(name='statprep-annie', token='0B9and_so_on_in_hex',
secret='Ezand_so_on_not_in_hex')

Still no luck. Even if I cancel through the request for the "public URL", and get to a dialog asking me to set up an rsconnect connection, I still get back to the public URL dialog box.

By the way, although I'm sending this in my persona as StatPrep Annie, I'm really Danny Kaplan who is trying to set up a system for college faculty to publish tutorials easily.

StatPrep Annie

Jun 4, 2018, 4:37:10 PM6/4/18
to Joshua Spiewak, shinyapps.io Users
Oh, maybe it will help to be able to look at the rstudio.cloud project: https://rstudio.cloud/project/39692

Joshua Spiewak

Jun 4, 2018, 4:40:24 PM6/4/18
to shinyapps.io Users
The project shouldn't matter.

Could you share screen shots directly with me please?

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 4:00:55 PM UTC-4, StatPrep Annie wrote:
I have both an rstudio.cloud account and a shinyapps.io account. I want to authorize my rstudio.cloud account to publish to my shinyapps.io account. I have been following the instructions in https://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/shinyapps.html (under rsconnect) involving both running rsconnect::setAccountInfo() and also setting the publish global preferences. Whatever way I do it, I am eventually confronted with a dialog box asking me for the "public URL of the rstudio.connect server."

I've tried the usual suspects for the "public URL," e.g. "shinyapps.io:3939" or "StatPrep-Annie.shinyapps.io:3939" but nothing works. The dialog box directs me to contact the system administrator for shinyapps.io to get the public URL, but I don't know who that is.

So ... what is the public URL for shinyapps.io? Or is there another way I'm supposed to do things?

StatPrep Annie

Jun 4, 2018, 4:59:47 PM6/4/18
to Joshua Spiewak, shinyapps.io Users
Here are six screen shots, numbered in order. The first shows my RStudio.cloud session. I realize that the token information is in the picture. I'll delete that token in a few minutes.

The last shows what happens when I click through the "public URL" dialog box and try "add account" instead. It takes me back to "public URL".

Ah, I see that my email randomizes the order in which they are shown. But the names reflect the desired order.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:40 PM Joshua Spiewak <j...@rstudio.com> wrote:
The project shouldn't matter.

Could you share screen shots directly with me please?

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 4:37:10 PM UTC-4, StatPrep Annie wrote:
Oh, maybe it will help to be able to look at the rstudio.cloud project: https://rstudio.cloud/project/39692

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:36 PM StatPrep Annie <statpre...@gmail.com> wrote:
I did exactly what you're suggesting, with version 0.8.8 of rsconnect installed from CRAN just today.
Doing it again:

Restarting R session...
> rsconnect::setAccountInfo(name='statprep-annie', token='0B9and_so_on_in_hex',
secret='Ezand_so_on_not_in_hex')

Still no luck. Even if I cancel through the request for the "public URL", and get to a dialog asking me to set up an rsconnect connection, I still get back to the public URL dialog box.

By the way, although I'm sending this in my persona as StatPrep Annie, I'm really Danny Kaplan who is trying to set up a system for college faculty to publish tutorials easily.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:08 PM Joshua Spiewak <j...@rstudio.com> wrote:
You should be able to copy the token from the shinyapps.io dashboard and paste into the console in rstudio.cloud:

What version of rsconnect are you using? I was able to do this in a new project, just now, with 0.8.8.

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 4:00:55 PM UTC-4, StatPrep Annie wrote:
I have both an rstudio.cloud account and a shinyapps.io account. I want to authorize my rstudio.cloud account to publish to my shinyapps.io account. I have been following the instructions in https://shiny.rstudio.com/articles/shinyapps.html (under rsconnect) involving both running rsconnect::setAccountInfo() and also setting the publish global preferences. Whatever way I do it, I am eventually confronted with a dialog box asking me for the "public URL of the rstudio.connect server."

I've tried the usual suspects for the "public URL," e.g. "shinyapps.io:3939" or "StatPrep-Annie.shinyapps.io:3939" but nothing works. The dialog box directs me to contact the system administrator for shinyapps.io to get the public URL, but I don't know who that is.

So ... what is the public URL for shinyapps.io? Or is there another way I'm supposed to do things?

shinyapps2.png
shinyapps4.png
shinyapps3.png
shinyapps5.png
shinyapps1.png
shinyapps6.png

Joshua Spiewak

Jun 4, 2018, 5:09:19 PM6/4/18
to shinyapps.io Users
Add "runtime: shiny" to the top matter.

Joshua Spiewak

Jun 4, 2018, 5:12:23 PM6/4/18
to shinyapps.io Users
Unfortunately, you then hit the next issue, which is related to the magic we have going on with cached packages, you will likely get an error about not knowing what to do with the repository rspm.
Investigating what we can do.

StatPrep Annie

Jun 4, 2018, 5:28:57 PM6/4/18
to Joshua Spiewak, shinyapps.io Users
Yes! That gets me past the "public URL" and I can start the deploy.  It didn't occur to me that an ordinary Rmd document would need runtime shiny, but in retrospect it kind of makes sense.

But then, as you say, I hit the rspm package problem.

Joshua Spiewak

Jun 4, 2018, 5:35:23 PM6/4/18
to shinyapps.io Users
Well, "need" is funny here. On shinyapps.io, all Rmd's will be run as shiny. In the absence of the runtime, I suspect that the IDE is trying to steer you away from shinyapps.io and toward configuring a Connect instance to which the document may be published. If you want to deploy to shinyapps.io, you definitely want to specify a shiny runtime.

Daniel Kaplan

Aug 4, 2018, 12:05:50 PM8/4/18
to shinyapps.io Users
Is there any update about the problem behind this behavior when trying to deploy a shiny app from rstudio.cloud to shinyapps.io?

Preparing to deploy document...DONE
Uploading bundle for document: 394980...DONE
Deploying bundle: 1518295 for document: 394980 ...
Waiting for task: 541262487
  building: Parsing manifest
################################ Begin Task Log ################################
################################# End Task Log #################################
Error: Unhandled Exception: Child Task 541262488 failed: Error parsing manifest: Unknown repository for package source: rspm
Execution halted
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to shinyapps-use...@googlegroups.com.

Joshua Spiewak

Aug 6, 2018, 11:40:43 AM8/6/18
to shinyapps.io Users
New rstudio.cloud projects should have the following repos configured:

> getOption('repos')
                     CRAN                      RSPM
   "http://package-proxy" "http://cran.rstudio.org"

Which should enable deploying to shinyapps.io. You should be able to update an existing project's option to match.

I tried to see if I had announced that at all, but couldn't find evidence that I had. My apologies.