Is ShiftEdit what I need?

Joel Golden

Feb 10, 2018, 1:50:11 PM2/10/18
to ShiftEdit - Web based IDE
I'm just learning how to code in HTML, css, and javascript; soon to learn python. What I need now is to access a folder in my GDrive, open files, edit them, view in Chrome, and save them back to my gdrive. Since I'm still learning the lingo, I don't know how to set up ShiftEdit to do these basic tasks. The directions and setup screen are bewildering.
So, I'm asking whether ShiftEdit is a good choice or whether I should stick with something like Caret presently.
Thanks.
Joel

Adam Jimenez

Feb 12, 2018, 6:39:36 AM2/12/18
to shiftedit
Hi Joel,

ShiftEdit can perform all these tasks and more, so I would say it's a good choice.
When you first login it should prompt you to create a new site.
Click "Cloud Services" and then Google Drive to connect to your Google Drive account.
Once connected you should then be able to create and edit files from your Google Drive.

Best regards,
Adam Jimenez
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Joel Golden

Feb 12, 2018, 8:56:12 AM2/12/18
to ShiftEdit - Web based IDE
Thanks. I've done that---connected to my Google Drive.  I can't just open a file and then save it. I've pointed ShiftEdit to the right folder, whether I click, double click, or right click, I get the perpetual circle of loading and can't access folders in the far left column. Now, the only way I can access from the designated folder is to download and I can save by uploading. Is this what I'm supposed to do if I'm using my GDrive? I can open the current file in the preview pane, but once again, to view in Chrome, I have to go through my files. I thought I could perform all of those functions from within ShiftEdit, but the documentation is vague.
The lack of detail is what has confounded me. I'm an excellent writer and editor and would be glad to help flesh out the docs if needed.
Thanks.
Joel

On 10 February 2018 at 18:50, Joel Golden <joel...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm just learning how to code in HTML, css, and javascript; soon to learn python. What I need now is to access a folder in my GDrive, open files, edit them, view in Chrome, and save them back to my gdrive. Since I'm still learning the lingo, I don't know how to set up ShiftEdit to do these basic tasks. The directions and setup screen are bewildering.
So, I'm asking whether ShiftEdit is a good choice or whether I should stick with something like Caret presently.
Thanks.
Joel

Adam Jimenez

Feb 14, 2018, 2:54:35 PM2/14/18
to shiftedit
Hi Joel,

You should be able to open files from the file tree and then edit them.

This sounds like a permissions issue, to resolve:

Remove ShiftEdit from Google Drive. via:
settings -> managing apps.

Then in ShiftEdit, edit the site.
Click connect, this will prompt you again for permission to access GDrive

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/shiftedit.