call for developers to assist with Confluence Shibboleth Authenticator project

Gary Weaver

Mar 15, 2012, 5:34:19 PM3/15/12
to us...@shibboleth.net
Sending a call out again (it's been a while!) for anyone who would like to assist with the development of the Confluence Shibboleth Authenticator (for Atlassian Confluence):

If you are not new to Java or Confluence, but maybe new to open-source project development or at least new to development of Atlassian authenticators, this is the perfect opportunity for you to get involved in a well-used open-source project, without having to dedicate much of your time.

We've had a great team of people assisting with the project over the years, from Chad La Joie's initial creation of the authenticator to its further development, testing, and/or support by Scott, Bruc, Juha, Juhani, Vlad, Jesse, Elliot, Michael, myself, and several others. But as the primary maintainer, the resources and time I have available to test out new releases has been minimal. We could really use your time!

So, if you feel that you could contribute, please see the README associated with the project's source for detail about how to contact us and/or get setup:

We'll look forward to hearing from you!

Gary

P.S.- note that as of time of writing, the wiki page is a bit messed up at top because Atlassian is working out some kinks in their system. That's outside of our control and should be fixed up shortly. Thanks.

Tom Scavo

Mar 15, 2012, 6:46:14 PM3/15/12
to Shib Users
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Gary Weaver <gary....@duke.edu> wrote:
> Sending a call out again (it's been a while!) for anyone who would like to
> assist with the development of the Confluence Shibboleth Authenticator (for
> Atlassian Confluence):
> https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/SHBL/Confluence+Shibboleth+Authenticator

There's a broken link to "Crowd with Shibboleth" on the above
page...can you fix that?

Also, what about jira? Is there work being done to SAML-enable jira?

Thanks,
Tom

Gary Weaver

Mar 16, 2012, 11:27:51 AM3/16/12
to Shib Users
(Response inline)

On 3/15/12 6:46 PM, "Tom Scavo" <trs...@gmail.com> wrote:

>There's a broken link to "Crowd with Shibboleth" on the above
>page...can you fix that?

Yep, thanks! Fixed. That project was abandoned afaik, but I haven't looked
into it much lately.

>Also, what about jira? Is there work being done to SAML-enable jira?

See the conversation going on in this ticket:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-75

I'm going to duck out of the list again because of the traffic, so please
contact me directly for further questions I can assist with because
otherwise you might not get a response. Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks,
Gary

Leif Johansson

Mar 16, 2012, 12:30:42 PM3/16/12
to us...@shibboleth.net, Juhani Gurney

Tom Scavo

Mar 18, 2012, 12:54:31 PM3/18/12
to Shib Users, Juhani Gurney
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Leif Johansson <le...@sunet.se> wrote:

> There is already a fully functioning version of Shibboleth-for-crowd
> that supports entitlement-driven-groups. Eduix.fi has done it for
> NORDUNet where it has been in operation for > 1y.
>
> I've cc:ed Juhani who can send you links etc.

I'm very interested in this!

Thanks!

Tom

Juhani Gurney

Mar 19, 2012, 4:57:57 PM3/19/12
to Tom Scavo, Shib Users

Tom Scavo kirjoitti 18.3.2012 kello 18.54:

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Leif Johansson <le...@sunet.se> wrote:

There is already a fully functioning version of Shibboleth-for-crowd
that supports entitlement-driven-groups. Eduix.fi has done it for
NORDUNet where it has been in operation for > 1y.

I've cc:ed Juhani who can send you links etc.

I'm very interested in this!

Thanks!

Tom

Hi,

You can download a version of the module from https://portal.nordu.net/display/NORDUwiki/Crowd+Shibboleth+Module

This is the original version developed for NORDUnet. I believe the files are a bit outdated as there are a few tweaks done for NORDUnet after releasing those files. There is a readme file that should help you get started if you know Crowd and Java. The solution is based on having Crowd behind Apache running Shibboleth - just like the Confluence Authenticator. Note that this isn't a plugin in the sense that you can just install it and start using it. Depending on your use case you will probably need to do some modifications.

Also note that it probably will not work with the latest version of Crowd but can be easily fixed. Recently we have worked on a customized version of the plugin for a couple of customers and it's running perfectly on the newest Crowd versions. Some new stuff we have recently added for these customers:
* support for Cross Domain SSO (which Crowd doesn't support out of the box)
* a fix to trigger a sync of a new user into Confluence (there is a annoying bug/feature with the Embedded Crowd approach in the newer Confluence versions: when using Crowd SSO  a new user can't log into Confluence until the directory is synced)

These features will be eventually updated on the page above once they are installed for NORDUnet.

The biggest benefit of using this module is that you only need to Shibbolize Crowd. Once you have done that you can connect any number of Atlassian applications to Crowd SSO and user management in the standard Atlassian way. This means that you don't need to worry about breaking your Shibboleth login when updating Confluence or Jira. I'm sure anyone using the Confluence Shibboleth Authenticator has noticed that things break too often when Atlassian releases a new version. Shibbolizing Crowd means that you are free to upgrade Confluence and Jira whenever you want: you'll only need to check that they are compatible with the version of Crowd that you are using.

As an example we have one customer who are using this solution to enable federated login to:
* 2 instances of Confluence on two different domains
* 1 Jira instance
* 1 Bamboo instance
* Subversion

If anyone needs help implementing this we are happy to provide services and support for the module. We (Eduix) are one of the Atlassian Experts: http://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts

Cheers,
Juhani

--
Juhani Gurney
CTO

+358 40 7624785
juhani...@eduix.fi

Eduix Ltd
Hämeenkatu 26
33200 Tampere

Peter Schober

Mar 20, 2012, 5:09:36 AM3/20/12
to us...@shibboleth.net
* Gary Weaver <gary....@duke.edu> [2012-03-15 22:34]:

> Sending a call out again (it's been a while!) for anyone who would
> like to assist with the development of the Confluence Shibboleth
> Authenticator (for Atlassian Confluence):

With Atlassian dumping the wiki (editor) from Confluence we're in the
progress of getting rid of Confluence. Bitten again by commercial software...
-peter